My Company Wants Me To Drive a non-ELD Pickup Truck for 2-day delivery. How to Account?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WadeH, Jul 6, 2020.

1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Everyone in this thread is over complicating the F out of this.

PICKUP TRUCK. No logbook, no entering jack into your eld. Take the pickup and haul whatever it is, wherever its going. Turn and burn back home.

Crude Truckin', JolliRoger and Redtwin Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    MAYBE, in fact, most likely! Thing is the OP has not told us anything other than a pickup. Agreed if it is just a simple delivery just drive the truck. Thing is it becomes a bit more complicated if that pickup has been placarded with hazmat! And you can guarantee once a placard is placed on that pickup it becomes a CMV!

wis bang Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If he’s on the clock though, it seems to me it would have to match up with his logs.

But no, don’t pull into a scale with a half ton truck. You don’t need to.

jamespmack Thanks this.
  5. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Simple solution to a simple bosses demands. Little expensive, but doable....

6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    I get the impression some of the people responding would log on duty if their neighbor gave them $20 to cut the grass.

"Gotta log all work performed, don't want to be messing with DOT regs".

7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I think about the hardest I ever laughed at a scale was the NorthBound I 85 scale in Carnesville Ga. The DOT was checking logbooks and sending most trucks across the static scale. Right in front of me was a F 150 pickup. The guy got pulled around. The cop checking log books and I both were laughing when he scanned mine. He said the "boss" was going to read him the riot act about wasting their time!

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    That's different though and there are a lot of things away from the truck I would not log. But as he is doing work for the same company he drives for I would be thinking cya. If he doesn't account for the time and he happened to have an accident a week from now, an investigation could show that he did't really have to hours to be driving. Then both him and the company would be SOL.

JolliRoger and Redtwin Thank this.
  9. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Two days off work?. I don't know of any DOT reg that requires drivers to list their location and activities while not at work.

I suppose if he rear ended a DOT officer while driving the pickup and a bunch of cargo and BOLs got scattered around the accident scene he would be well and truly screwed.

I kinda think having that story to tell would be worth it though. :D

10. Redtwin

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Slightly related. At a former job, I was on the yard and put my truck in the shop to get some stuff done. Safety calls me in and said I need to go renew my med card. I tell them my truck is in the shop so they throw me the keys to the company pickup and send me to the local testing place.

While I out in the pickup, I swing by Walmart bought some stuff, then hit Captain D's for lunch.

Should I have logged on duty for the trip to the med center seeing as how I was in a company vehicle and safety knew for sure where I was and why?. Should I have logged the time to drive to the med center,time spent there and time back to the yard,but not the trip to Walmart and to lunch?.

11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I don't remember ever logging my physicals. In fact, I only remember logging a drug screen once. It's also been almost 8 years since I last drove!

Redtwin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.