My Cummins isx is dead, buy a new truck, or do and In-Frame?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Flatbed1991, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    $22500 but did it myself.

Now after a year and a half and 150k miles I’ll say maybe I should of just bought a NEW truck.

No way I would put a new motor in a 2009 truck..... when all said and done it will still only be worth $15k if it was done by Cummins. Not a Cummins rebuild its worth $10k. I thought I was smart because it was a 2001 model year I may be worth a little more? Nope.... it’s still only worth $10k

Still stand by my decision but I do all the work myself but, if you don’t or can’t do the work yourself just get a new truck. No question. C0C2BE42-5233-465E-B28D-E617D52E968E.jpeg 3D8C43B2-8D72-4534-B625-929B8813C250.jpeg

Also the quotes you got for the work will grow once they crack the first bolt. That bill will just grow and grow and grow....

What will you do if the final bill gets to be $50,000.00 and they still are not done with it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m running a new International LT with their A26 motor and it’s been great. I’m not a fan of Cummins or Paccar. I’ve owned Cummins in the past and wouldn’t buy another.

4. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I had a 2009 Prostar with and ISX that I wore all the good out of. The truck was good as far as low maintenance, but because of that it was almost all original. The rears, tranny, front suspension, clutch, practically everything was original. I finally just bought another truck, I got a 2014 Cascadia with a DD15. I am not a Freightliner fan, but after investigating the problems with all the different engines I wanted a Detroit. New would have been nice, but since I am only planning on being out here a few more years I didn't want a big note.

5. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    So your saying to rebuild yours it will be $28grand? Wow that is a tough decision. Before all these new emission engines, I'd say easy decision rebuild. Because 28k and no payments vs 20k down payment followed by 5 years of payments.

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You have a blown head gasket, and that's it?

1M miles on it and nothing else wrong?

Maybe just replacing the gasket would be a good start?

bzinger and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  7. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I was getting quotes of 8 grand for an isx head gasket, i'm pretty sure that was what was wrong with my truck, but once you open it up, who knows. I was quoted just short of 12 k if it needed a head. I figured it was too big a gamble on an isx with 880 k on it.

8. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Road Train Member

Mar 6, 2017
    PA
    I started with a bare block on a '08 Pete, and I sit $30k over budget and just starting into the interior. Still cheaper than a new glider, but despite the fact that it feels like I've replaced EVERYTHING, there's still a lot of old parts.

magoo68, daf105paccar and Tug Toy Thank this.
  9. Flatbed1991

Flatbed1991 Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2018
    You right ,the bill can go higher anytime.I thinking about all electric cables also.i didn't have problems before, but that if go wrong also can cost me.so if decide to get a new do you now wich bran semi and engine better to choose?

10. Flatbed1991

Flatbed1991 Bobtail Member

Nov 7, 2018
    I was in Mississippi on pickup, I come running all good,stop engine to get loaded,when done I try to start he don't want to start,was like block,and low coolant come on,I a done galon,but he don't want to start,something block him.i tow to Illinois. After 2 days I arrived on yard go try he is starting running but again low coolant and come also white smoke from exist pipe.

11. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Tough call. Because even a reman motor can come with its flaws. We’ve seen a new long block come in with dropped liners from factory and had to re deck it. Thankfully he checked.

But the isx 871 IS a good motor. But to replace the head gasket is time consuming. Pull the radiator, maybe your hood, pull the cams out, pull the head (heavy), now your looking at your gasket/liners/pistons. You will have to inspect the gasket & measure your liners to see if a liner dropped. If your liner did drop you will be looking at about $1200 to get a machinist to come cut the counterbores. (I wouldn’t pay a dime if I couldn’t be around for the before and after measurements of this part), then you would probably put in new pistons/liners, and main n rod bearings.

I think your quote is to high, well maybe not with the radiator. $25k should get you pretty close to an OEM REBUILD KIT + BEARINGS, NEW HEAD (not reman), NEW INJECTORS, NEW FUELING ACTUATORS, NEW FUEL PUMP, COUNTERBORES CUT + OVERHAUL LABOR.

The key here is, WHO U LET REBUILD IT. You let some dealer and a kid work on it, you might as well throw that money away. Got to be very selective with who you let rebuild it, so you can try to get a good return on your investment.

Good luck

kenn2632 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.