My Current Swift Experience

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Behindthewheel, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Behindthewheel

Behindthewheel Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Iowa
    I have been through their training. There are four to a room using bunk beds that are provided by swift.

You do not get a continental breakfast in order to keep the costs of the contract between swift and the hotel down.

Swift is the same price as Schneider, however, Schneider tacks on 18% interest. Schneider's price includes the higher hotel rate that has continental breakfast, so in all actuality, the actual program is less.

During the three weeks of school, there would be a lot of rumors flying around from other students, a lot of which was not true. There were canopies out in the training yard for week 2 (week 1 is all classroom), but it was still hot. They are building permanent covers which are bigger, but in Phoenix it's still hot!

If for some reason you are not able to complete training as long as you made an effort by repeating a week, Swift will pay for your bus ticket home. If you were doing something stupid or got sent home because of inaccurate information on your application, or you have a positive drug screen, you get sent home at your expense.

The first two weeks out with a trainer were not bad, but there were things that I knew that he didn't and was supposed to know. They did work with me for coming home since my wife had a high chance of delivering our first child early which did happen.

There were some issues to start with. They did not have me coded as being with a trainer so I could not sign in to get paid. They fixed that. My Comdata card was blocked, they fixed that. I was unable to and still could not fuel using my comdata card so that still needs fixed, so my trainer had to take a log violation in order to log that we fueled with his card.

I told Swift that if there are things that happen frequently that would delay me and cause me to not make the money, I will look for work elsewhere, as I have a family to support and can not afford to be detained due to errors in the system.

I am just keeping everything cool though, so I can have a good report on my DAC. I would have been hired by Crete if I would have had the money to put myself through a community college to get my CDL, so I am definitally leaving that option open by not messing up at Swift, and giving them no reason to want to report something bad. I would hate to have to take the time to appeal, and then give them a bad report :biggrin_2556:

I will follow this up after I get back from the rest of my six weeks of training (four weeks left). I leave Saturday, so I really do hope all goes well.

They have been cleaning house and hopefully the company and the rep will improve for everyones sake.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ic40oz

ic40oz Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    SA
    Good luck man. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and are taking appropriate action in the right direction. Taker easy

4. IGM 462

IGM 462 Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Kingman, Arizona
    It's not even summer yet , Keep up the good work and go for it ! Don't let them get you,You take them for everything they offered.

5. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    Congrats on your 1st child.... Good luck with Swift....Come to the forum if you have questions, I used to be a trainer....Let me know if you need help or have any q's

6. CarolElaine60

CarolElaine60 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Mathis, TX
    Congrats on the little girl! that's awesome!

Please keep me posted! I'm set to go train in August!:biggrin_25517:

7. IGM 462

IGM 462 Light Load Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Kingman, Arizona
    If Swift is so bad,Why do people keep showing up for training?
    In the last post it was said that other students were even b#$%&ing about the company. WTF ? These people are students,not even 1,2,3 year vetrans!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  8. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    Well I would not tell anyone to go to Swift. If they do I wish them the best of luck. IMO I have never thought of them as a good company to go to, now I have read that Swift will hire people where other comp will not. I have run into many Swift drivers in the past and 98% of them are just wanting to do their year and get the hell out. I dont know how they run there tng program, but from what I have seen on the road most of them have there heads up the 5th point of contact. If they clean house..Great. If someone goes there and stays and it works out for them I am happy for them.

9. Behindthewheel

Behindthewheel Bobtail Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Thanks for the support and I will definitely keep everyone posted. I do hope everything goes well but also know there is the chance that things may not.

CarolElaine60 If you are training Phoenix, I can give you some tips to really save you money.

First, Sunblock is #1 (Not a money saver but really a necessity)

The hotel in Phoenix is right across the street from a Sam's club. The best way to make your money stretch is to go buy food from there and take a lunch with you. If someone has a vehicle, get a ride to Wal-Mart and do some shopping, but don't do anything until Thursday, when you know you made it through the paperwork and the physical.

For small items, just up the road from the Hotel less than 2 blocks is a K-Mart.

If it's not phoenix, the best I can say is the $150 they suggest for food for 3 weeks will last you about 1, unless you can get to a grocery store and take advantage of your fridge and microwave.

Greyound is at its best otherwise I would be on my way to Minnesota to meet up with my new trainer. He does everything legal, which is better than my old trainer.

For anyone that goes to any company and has to be with a mentor/trainer for any length of time, do not stay with someone you are uncomfortable with. Request to go back to the terminal where you can get a new trainer.

inthewindaz Thanks this.
  10. ic40oz

ic40oz Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    SA
    Congrats on the child man! They are TONS of fun. Until they turn 4 or so.. then they get, lets say, BRAVE.. haha.. Again, congrats.

11. CarolElaine60

CarolElaine60 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Mathis, TX
    Behind the Wheel: I'm training in San Antonio and I will have my car with me! I won't have much money though! I may be doing the Ramen Noodle thing! How rigorous is the health screening? My blood pressure is borderline....I gotta figure out what to do to make sure it's ok for the physical.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.