My driver ran out of fuel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by afterburn25, Apr 13, 2015.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    He should have got fuel between 5 and 600 miles.He has that much exp he should know hes about to need fuel driving 600 miles.You need more then just fumes to make it up hills and such.I would charge your driver just maybe he'll wake up and start paying attention.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i would pay for the fuel but he pays for the service call. i would also tell him unless your having to run light on fuel for a heavy load no excuse to ever be below 1/4 tank

4. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Wow... that is just rediculouse for an experienced driver to first run out of fuel... but, also to have to have you take care of it....

I have never run out of fuel.. but a few months back I pushed it and thougnt I would have enough to make it to a fuel stop that is in our network... but got worrried I was cutting it too close so stopped at an out of network truck stop and put in enough to make sure I would make it.. $50 out of my own pocket... I could of called our fuel department and they would of okayed me to put the $50 on my fuel card and I wouldn't of been out $50.... but I felt stupid for cutting it so close, especially since I had passed two truck stops in our network... so for me, the $50 was the cost of learning and saving face..

If I found myself in your drivers position. .. before I called you.. I would of called Petro myself and made the arrangements for them to come out with fuel and prime my engine and put the $300 on my credit card... then called you to tell you I screwed up.. but was getting it handled...

From there you could chose to cover the $300... let me cover the $300.... or split it.... whatever...

I did get reimbursed the $50 from my fleet manager because he appreciated me just being proactive... he sais he has had drivers run out of fuel and it is a bigger hassle and cost then the $50 for out of network fuel. ..

So I think him running out of fuel tells you about the kind of driver he is.. ax well as him not handling it and just calling you to fix it...

And as much as it pains me to say this... since I drive for a mega... his lack of proactively handling it before calling you is a mega driver mentality...

5. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    yes I wasn't going to charge for the fuel only if there was a ridicules up charge on it which there wasn't but I don't think I should have to pay the service charge for his screw up but I probably do need a new driver I really don't like his attitude. he just called me now hes trying to say someone must have stolen fuel while he was parked which to me wouldn't matter even if it was true cause he can see when the gauge shows empty.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I don't believe in screwing with his check..... He may be a screw up but you hired him. And now you have a chance to fix the problem.....

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    What did he do after he filled up? Could someone have stolen some fuel while he was eating or showering? I don't know, I'm not a truck owner but I'd probably cover him this time, the first time, and anything after that would be on him.

Kinda sounds like someone might have stole the fuel out of one of the tanks. Something he needs to watch from now on. :(

8. Interplanet Janet

Interplanet Janet Light Load Member

May 26, 2014
    Did you try to micro-manage his fuel stops? If so, it's on you. Non the less, if your expecting your trucks to "run on paper", get a clue and hire competent drivers, and when they say "I need fuel", heed that warning..

9. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    why not he screwed with my check im not some big mega carrier im still small it hurts plus im paying him a percentage isn't fair for me to pay him his 25% while I end up having to eat his screw up I maybe paying him 25% but factor in payroll taxes and other crap I pay for plus this

I can tell who is a company owner and who are the drivers.

10. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    nope he is free to fill up at any place he desires I don't tell my drivers where they can fill up at i really dont have time to mess with that

11. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I forgot to look what section this was in. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.