My driver ran out of fuel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by afterburn25, Apr 13, 2015.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    As bad as I hate to say it welcome to the world of hired help/professional drivers. You may hear I didn't hire out to do ...... Next. I agree it's his stupidity but as the truck owner it's your financial responsibility not his. That sux too I been there. I have seen many a good O/O sell out to slow down take a job for somebody like us and you wonder how they made it lol. It's like if it ain't there's screw it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt

Sorry, but I own my truck ..... Fire him !!!!! You already said you don't like his attitude.

wore out, DrtyDiesel and BrenYoda883 Thank this.
  4. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    It would not bother me so much that he ran out of fuel, everyone makes mistakes. But I don't like all the excuses and shenanigans. that would tell me he is gonna try to cover up and lie about every mistake. I can deal with a guy who makes a bonehead move from time to time, but a guy I can't trust from the word go ?

5. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    and we're off!!!!

I've seen plenty of this. Stolen fuel or selling fuel? I've never run out of fuel in 20 yrs of driving, run very close to it, but made it as another driver said.

Even on an old truck with gauges working half the time, I took it upon myself to physically open the fuel cap and check with a flashlight and sometimes with a stick. :D No excuses for running out of fuel. NON.

But... that's just me.

ps. i'm not making money as a driver sitting on the side of the road. it behooves me to make sure truck/trailer are in good working order, prior to turning the key.

BrenYoda883 Thanks this.
  6. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Here's the deal. Any driver should know his truck after 2 fill ups. For example, I know that at 900 miles, I better be thinking about getting fuel. At 950, I better know where a fuel stop is pretty close. At 1000 miles, i better be pulling into the Pilot.

7. Mardet

Mardet Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Lancaster, Pa.
    The driver deserves to be disciplined through reprimand, suspension or termination. The company accepts the financial lose of the drivers mistake. I think that trying to hold employees financially responsible for their mistakes is a poor practice. The dollar amount of a mistake and the seriousness of a mistake don't always go hand in hand.

8. Bankrobba99

Bankrobba99 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2014
    Tx
    As a business owner your kinda stuck with your drivers screwup(s)...It ain't right but that's the way the world turns sometimes.

I wouldn't fool with his paycheck...Labor Board would be all over you. Least in Tx. they would.

Maybe give him a chance to make it right or fire him.....Your call

ramblingman Thanks this.
  9. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    But the dollar amount might make him think twice about doing it again.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  10. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    The cost is on you -- just like if he forgot to set the parking brake and the truck rolled into a new Tesla or something...

If he was otherwise reliable and forthright, I might pay this time & tell him next time he pays for the road call or he hits the road. But if you already think he's an idiot, why keep him around -- especially if he is dishonest.

RedForeman, ramblingman and Cat sdp Thank this.
  11. jlind

jlind Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Nature coast, Fl.
    If you pay him percentage then that cost would be deducted from the loads pay would it not? Are you paying % of gross or net? I would suggest a split and see how he reacts, I would have stopped and eaten it myself out of shear embarrassment but that probably not what everyone would do....
    It will go a long way toward driver/owner relations to offer some sort of deal from the drivers side, also would indicate whether he's a valuable driver or just a guy doing a job...

BrenYoda883 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.