My Experience as a Line Haul Driver

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by American-Trucker, Apr 14, 2012.

1. sammycat

sammycat "Oldest Hijackerette"

Apr 11, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Good luck AT!!!

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Southeast
    Good luck. I've been pulling sets for a long time. I've been running linehaul for a long time. Every week is like a vacation and I get paid and treated well for doing it.

4. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Congrats AT! Couldn't of happened to a better smart alec!:biggrin_25525: You're one of my favorites around here.

5. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    lucky break, i have never had any success trying to get on a line haul or even local for any of those guys. i cant complain too much, i got my wish of being home but my job is actually pretty difficult and i have to learn so much stuff in a very short time haha. driving is a sweet easy gig and i miss it every day hahaha.

but no one deserves it more, you really do not want to work all your best years away. i would like to see more companies in general taking a chance on us young guys, not everyone in our generation is a lazy sack...just like 90% of them haha.

6. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    century class and myself work for the same company. I get the feeling that century is a no b.s. kinda guy, I'm the same way. Been here 12 years, also a driver trainer, so if you have any questions at all, pm us. You may get goofy info, or question the info you get.... pm us privately and we can help you out. Welcome aboard!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  7. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    got to the terminal around 8:45am, watched a BUNCH of videos, 4 of them on Unions....:biggrin_2559: and then took a bunch of tests, hazmat stuff, etc had it all done in 2.5 hours (by 11:30am) then spent the rest of the day, loading and unloading trucks (till 4:45pm), then they sent me home.

I found out today we get paid a flat $125/Day while in training (3 days of training), so i got all the terminal/dock training done today.

Tomorrow and wen i will be rideing with another driver, gotta be at the terminal around 5:30pm tomorrow, they said he leaves by 6pm.

Note: for any drivers to scared to go LTL because your affraid of dock work...if the other companies are like this company then it couldnt be easyer, spent 5 hours sitting on my but on a forklift...no sweat

So far so good!

American Trucker

Wedge, CenutryClass, epimax and 2 others Thank this.
  8. LSAgentOZR

LSAgentOZR Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I am the 10%:biggrin_25523:

alex94 and BNR32 Thank this.
  9. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm probably the weirdest guy out there. id rather take a 1hr run and 12 hours on the dock. I hate driving..haha. My run is 3 hours each way and man do i dread it.. where is mah toyota forklift!?

alex94 Thanks this.
  10. alex94

alex94 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2008
    good ol CG
    AT, glad your first day went well and sounds fairly easy. Did you already have your forklift cert. or did you get that today? Good luck tomorrow and Wednesday going out with the other driver. Hope to hear more about your endeavors. As always, stay safe out there sir!

11. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

i got my OSHA Fork Lift License when i was 18, but i did get a "company Forklift License" today though lol

American Trucker

The Challenger and alex94 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.