My Experience as a Line Haul Driver

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by American-Trucker, Apr 14, 2012.

1. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

Unions would never work with OTR, Benifits for ALL OTR carriers SUCK, some more then others, hometime for most OTR companies SUCK, pay for most OTR companies SUCK, vacation time for most OTR companies SUCK, fuel prices are insane, freight rates and Tonage moved by truck are very low.

Unions simply take what a employer is willing to pay for an employee and splitting up the pie differantly then the employer did to make the employee THINK they are getting a better deal all the while they are still only worth $X to the employer...so with OTR with every piece of the pie being so small to begin with, what do they have to work with? nothing... They would have to suck so much more money from the companies to make it work, which would go straight to the customers, then to their customers (the US people) which cant afford that....wouldnt ever work. In the perfect world of how unions are suposed to work, yes OTR would be great but in the real world i dont see it ending well for anyone.

American Trucker

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    The point that you're missing is that while freight rates have increased overall, along with carrier costs, and carrier profits, driver pay and benefits have DECREASED. Even despite increased educational and driver fitness requirements. Why? Because there are drivers willing to work cheap or even for free, thinking that they have no other options. A good driver's union would give carriers a choice between paying a decent wage, or going under.

Unfortunately, union greed is what will keep that from becoming a reality.

bbechtel16 Thanks this.
  4. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    yea your are a weirdo lol. I dont miss those toyota forklifts at all, with the supervisors counting your motor moves as well lol(at least at the old XCV). Also XBY was only like 20 miles away from both XNJ and XCV, for me at XEM was 30 or 40.

Unions do benefit the carriers. I work for a union company now and most likely could never go back to a non-union company, thats just my 2 cents. But like others said if you have a strong union like we do there isnt any problems. LAst problems I had from other jobs ive had, do not happen here.

Good luck AT though... Not sure how far your hub is your will be going to but safe trip. And Century is right, you will spend more time on the forklift then grinding gears...

5. 3 steps

3 steps Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Large non union side of UPS? GO ahead, enlighten me. What are you talking about? UPS Cartage?

6. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

UPS Freight (the old Overnight) is non union, the UPS Freight OTR side is non union too.

American Trucker

7. 3 steps

3 steps Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Where do you get your information?

UPS Freight has been union since 2007.

I should know, I work there.

By the way, it was Overnite, not Overnight.:biggrin_25525:

8. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York

I have a pretty good idea of where you are starting, and the 4 anti union video's are because of your fellow drivers wanting a union at a lot of barns. 2 years ago you would not have gotten them, however, with cuts in benefits and retirement, there has been a lot of the "dirty U word" around Conway barns.....

You should work for a Union Shop before you make broad generalizations about them. I work for US Foods right now, and get paid better, with better benefits, vacation, and retirement, than our Non Union shops. And my dues are only 50 bucks a month. And they can't fire me at will. There are plenty of people who have been fired at non union shops for having the wrong opinion in the eyes of the boss.

FLATBED, danny_379, ACH1130 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

i dont work for conway, and almost every company in NC shows anti union videos trucking or not because there are allot of lazy POS people living here. theres probably more people on welfare per square mile here then most other states lol

American Trucker

10. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

news to me, the OTR guys arent still right?

American Trucker

11. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    i dont know, where i work-not driving, dock side of things-the unions are a joke. these guys loading trucks make wayyyy too much money. we are talking like 25 bucks an hour, more on weekends, like triple time on holidays...i would guess that type of nonsense is putting a dent in drivers paychecks somewhere down the line. i know my company which is a contractor to the warehouse sure doesnt pay us that much. and we are there to support and fix the stuff these overpaid wackos cant figure out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.