My Experience as a Line Haul Driver

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by American-Trucker, Apr 14, 2012.

1. THE ROOKIE

THE ROOKIE Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Buena Vista, GA
    As far as I know the truckload side of UPS freight is still non union. Good luck with the new job. A small piece of advice with doubles- Do not put yourself in a spot that you have to back out of. I was always aware of this when I worked for Fed-Ex freight.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 3 steps

3 steps Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2012

Correct. But the LTL side of UPS Freight seems to be a lot bigger than the TL side.

4. already gone

already gone Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Western New York

how is the union a joke if their guys are getting paid good, and the company is making a profit? the warehouse guys at us foods make over 20 who load our truck, and the company makes billions every year. low paid workers are the joke....

msviolet, ACH1130 and WideSkyND Thank this.
  5. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    yes, that is good advise about not being able to back up. i got bad directions once in ashville,nc. ended up in a trailer park at two in the morning looking at the end of the road going up the side of a moutain. you should have seen all the lights come on when i pulled the air buttons. i had to break them down and turn them around, and when i got to terminal i had to do my regular break down and get the pup i needed, what a long night.....:biggrin_25513: i'll never take that exit again...

Wrangler65 Thanks this.
  6. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,

agreed a hundred percent on the unions, I get about 5-10 hours overtime a week and they dont complain about me working too long like my last job did. Granted I dont sit around ad sleep all day like some guys do, i cannot do that I like to keep moving

AT i thought it was con-way you were working for. I got an idea of what other two you could possibly work for describing the job duties. Enjoy your first night

7. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    AT,

Hope your first night goes well.

@ The Rookie,

Good piece of advice as I am always on the look out for those.

KH

8. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    I agree as to why they show these videos. They are trying to prove their point and make a case. While a lot of companies have closed their doors, I would love to see the difference between union and non union companies. List both the union side and the non union side of companies that are no longer with us for whatever reason.
    That could be some interesting reading.

9. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    That is just not the case everywhere.

10. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    What an incredibly weak bunch of members and business angents! Guess you workers weren't willing to stick together for the good of the members to have your contrct languaged enforced. No one to blame buy you!

11. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    Not all AT. People need to step back a realize that union drivers pull more that just dry freight. Don't pidgeon hole yourself into just dry freight.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.