MY EXPERIENCE AS A Mercer FLATBED DRIVER

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by skateboardman, Jul 3, 2012.

1. flatbed22

flatbed22 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Wesley Chapel, NC
    First take note where I am running. I've sliced out a niche within the load board. If you haven't already. Please read all my past posts in this thread and you will find a consistent lane. Also i run harder than most. Its just my nature. I stay east of I35.

Second. Mercer has a good amount of freight in the surrounding Memphis area.
    I would go there without hesitation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    Memphis freight is alot of the steel coils out of the steel mills just north of there. Good freight, just normally heavy.

4. Classic97

Classic97 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Very informative thread almost wish I would have went with Mercer

5. Classic97

Classic97 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2014
    Does Mercer let you book your own loads thru a independent load board like Internet Truck Stop? ?

6. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    No, only loads through the Mercer load board which is not the same Mercer board for the outside contractors and agents see.

But they do let us choose and book loads of our own choice on the driver load board.

Classic97 and Bigdubber Thank this.
  7. flatbed22

flatbed22 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Wesley Chapel, NC
    Just to add to that. I brought a bunch of guys over here.
    4 of us decided to make a friendly bet of $100 to the one that grosses the most by end of June. January thru March I stayed out longer but April thru now I go home on average every 8 days for 4 days.
    1, really can't grasp the load board so his coordinator runs the truck completely.
    He's tied for 1st place with 1 other who mixes it up and he hasn't been home since February.

They're ahead of me and my buddy by 10k. My buddy picks his own however he works twice as much as I. He likes the coast to coast which tends to be cheap freight with exception of course . But he runs hard. I pick my own 95% of the time.
    One thing that works for all of us is we book ahead.
    It took some retraining of my buddy's coordinator to do it and nows he's the rabbit.

The feedback I get most from the new guys that pm me is that their coordinators will not book ahead. Remember you're the boss not him or her.

I'm showing friendly examples that's all.

Also I predict a close win for me lol. I've stepped up my game and staying out til it's over.

CJndaTruck and Bigdubber Thank this.
  8. Old - School

Old - School Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Hate to see this thread stop. It was a good read.

9. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    I will try to get it going again

Sneakerfix and Old - School Thank this.
  10. DonM

DonM Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    There seems to be an increase in the number of truck and trailers for sale on the Mercer Web-Site. I hope its nothing to be alarmed about.

11. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    I haven't noticed any more than a normal number.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.