My experience in Prime's lease program so far.

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Feb 2, 2018.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    You shouldn't assume things. I said I went home 1 day.. I never said I haven't had days off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    In your quest to discredit people try reading what they wrote before jumping on your guns.. I very clearly stated Im using the lease truck as a way to buy a truck outside of Prime.

4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I'm not keeping the lease 3 years.. Most likely I won't have the lease truck 6 more months.

I'm working 2 options right now. Buy a good used 2013- 2016 truck via financing that I can put on Prime's fleet or finish off my 1st year and buy a older truck outright with cash and move elsewhere.

I have 6 months roughly to complete a year as a cdl holder, I can't move anywhere before then, so I'm making the most out of my 1st year to jump start my second with better earning ability.

Walk Away.. Do you plan to hand me the keys of a truck I can use how I see fit?

Jarhed1964 Thanks this.
  5. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Crocky said:
    “Due to the costs of the lease, I'm using my lease as a bridge to buy a truck outside of Prime then most likely put it on their fleet with out having to pay so much. My plan is to buy a $30-50k truck and put it on the fleet. This will allow me to both put more money in mypocket but also make more money”

Reply:
    Crocky - I think there are some serious errors in your plan. Generally a $30-50k truck can be a money pit, big repairs (engine / tranny) can eat up your reserves in a heartbeat. I don’t think you’ll find a blue sky situation, making payments and being totally responsible for all of the costs to run a used truck.

Some have made it, but many have walked away with a ruined credit rating, and a bank or finance company chasing them to collect all the money due from the purchase agreement. The only option to stay in the trucking business after a crash and burn, will be employment as a company driver.

But there are options, that aren’t a lease purchase, or a half used up truck.

A full maintenance lease, would protect you against catastrophic failures. Won’t be an inexpensive option, but worth your time to search for one, getting hard numbers.

Next option is buying a new truck, with extended warranties. Again not cheap, but you will have a better idea of your fixed costs. I’ve seen some very sound reasons to go this way. You’ll have to avoid taking cheap loads. Another thing is why would you ever want to stay with Prime? They haven’t treated you that well, I’d be looking for a greener pastures. Whoever you go with, you must have the option to book your own freight, and not be reliant on a mega.

If your credit isn’t strong, now is the time to work on fixing it. Bad credit will never put you in a strong bargaining position.

And your numbers showing 52 weeks of income a year is not realistic. Just not possible in the long run. A major truck repair could easily take you off the road for 2 or 3 weeks.

If your savings goal is to buy a truck, without having $20-30k as a reserve, that’s an invitation for trouble, especially with a $30-50k truck. And not taking some time off is a recipe for burnout. So make sure all of your plans are realistic.

Their are some excellent company driver positions out there, no worries about the truck, just write up a ticket when things go wrong. Some pay equal or better of what you’re currently earning, with no financial risk. Might be local or line haul, or regional. Maybe a good next step after you end your walk away lease.

The time you take to do your research, it is an investment in yourself. Do it now, but take your time. Before you sign anything get some legal advice, and not at a lunch counter at a truck stop. Even though you’ll be surrounded by experts.

Don’t resent Prime for selling used, used, used trucks for $60k, lease purchase is a moneymaker for them. Fact of life. All the megas do the same! Another reason to find a different company.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    EphTrucker and crocky Thank this.
  6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. My longer term intention is to go somewhere I can pick my own loads. The only reason Id put a truck Id buy onto Prime, is they are a known factor to me.

I know what to expect from them as far as money and loads go, so if buying a truck via financing I'd like to build up more funds prior to moving elsewhere to a unknown.

As far as credit, mine isn't too bad and I'm paying down any debts I have. My biggest issue with going to a conventional lender is short business history and I don't own a home or anything like that so not enough assets to make a bank/lender happy to loan me $150k on a new truck.

Zigzag777 Thanks this.
  7. 386lover

386lover Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    I for one applaud you're efforts. And do think you can make you're plan work. I for one don't know of any first year cdl holders making 60-65 grand. However I see a few flaws that I want to help you with.
    1. Have heard, and read Prime only allows 6 year old tractors or less to run in their fleet.
    2. A 30-50 grand truck is how many owner operators got started including me. The difference is I and many others had an emergency truck fund of 10-30 grand because if you're engine fails the dream ends if you can't cover it.
    I wish you good luck, hope you make it, and continue to update everyone on you're progress.

Rollr4872, HTDMoe and crocky Thank this.
  8. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    When you factor in benefits and taxes it's much closer than you think.

9. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    First time your truck goes in for repair post up a pay stub...:biggrin_25525:

10. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Join a credit union. I’ve heard loan requirements are lower, than a bank.
    And don’t forget truck manufacturers financing, at times companies will offer very competitive rates to move their inventory. All of the major brands have a finance operation. Avoid dealer financing, they may get you approved, but at a much higher interest rate. And watch out for used truck dealers, that are nothing but financing companies, at high rates, with meaningless warranties.

crocky Thanks this.
  11. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Prime's insurance was ridiculous so I didn't even get it as company.. It was over $100/week for me. I forget the exact number but was gonna cost me around $3k a year with the highest deductible.

Also, Prime's company trucks are too slow and the most miles I got was 2,700 but most of the time I was barely getting 2k.. I was not making money as company.. It came down to either I quit or I try lease.. So far less is working for me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.