My experience with Central Refrigerated

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by Russ Brantley, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Russ Brantley

Russ Brantley Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2008
    GA
    I have a Class A CDL, but I do not have any driving experience. I applied to Central Refrigerated. They called me the next day and offered me a job. Because I don't have any driving experience they want me to go through their 2 week CDL school. It costs $3000. I told the recruiter that other companies (like schneider) will pay me while they train me. He told me good luck and hung up on me. I don't mind going through extra training, but I'm not paying for it. I don't look down on this company because of the one person I talked to. I may apply for a job again someday, but I only if I have driving experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Companies will pay you while you are on the road training
    But most will not pay for the class room part
    In fact you will not even be considered an employee at that point
    But they will still want their 3 grand pass or not

4. B & J

B & J Bobtail Member

May 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Central doesn't pay you while you are in class but they DO pay you when you hit the road for training. It's my understanding that most of them work this way.

5. sanityfree

sanityfree Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Sleeper, Volvo
    If you have a Class A CDL, I don't understand why you need to go through school anyway. Training is one thing, but school again is entirely different.

6. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hiring a driver is a calculated risk for the company and is insurance company
    That risk goes way down with schooling and training
    They will see you as a newbie after a set amount of time that you have been off the road

7. Russ Brantley

Jun 12, 2008
    GA
    Schneider calls it training. They said I will spend 2 weeks in the yard backing up, parking, coupling/uncoupling, etc. They will pay me $300 (I think) per week. Central Refrigerated calls it school and wants to charge me for it. I need the training because I have no experience, but they are crazy to think that I will pay for it. There are too many companies out there that will pay me for this training. I wonder if anyone else had this experience. Was it just the recruiter that I talked to trying to pull a fast one? Maybe he gets an extra bonus or commision if he gets me into the school.

8. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    If you have a class A CDL and not much driving exp you have to take a refresher course. That is 2000, not 3000 at central.
    If at Schneider you are just doing the practice you are talking about then they are lieing to you. They have a school also, and they charge for it. If you have a class A, they have a refresher also. They charge for it. Then they put you with a trainer for 2 weeks, this they will pay you for.

I would almost be willing to bet hard cash that if you have no real driving experience, or even just local driving experience not over the road, that Schneider will require you to pay something for a refresher. Unless you are a recent school graduate.

Quexos Thanks this.
  9. Russ Brantley

Jun 12, 2008
    GA
    I'm excited to say that I start at Old Dominion on July 21. :biggrin_255: Thank you for your replies.

10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    They have a terminal about 2 miles from my house. I have not really looked at them though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.