My Experience with Landstar

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Bro_Dave, Feb 24, 2016.

1. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Nice truck Dave. Good to see things are working out for you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bro_Dave

Bro_Dave Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2013
    Just found out I have to pay $9,200 sales tax on new truck image.jpeg

4. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Wouldn't the truck be tax exempt as rolling stock? I have yet to ever pay sales tax on a truck or trailer.

Lone Ranger 13 Thanks this.
  5. Bro_Dave

Nov 5, 2013
    For those who live in Georgia, Buyer BEWARE! If you buy the truck in GA, no sales tax. If you buy the truck outside of GA, you pay sales tax.

6. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Dave- is the ad valorem tax what you're talking about? See below in green.

What is House Bill 386?
    House Bill 386 is an initiative, passed in 2012 by the Georgia Legislature, introduced to spur economic growth in Georgia.

The new Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) is one part of this initiative. The Title Ad Valorem Tax became effective March 1st, 2013.

The new Title Ad Valorem Tax will affect motor vehicles purchased on or after March 1st, 2013.
    A motor vehicle is defined as every vehicle which is self-propelled. This will not include campers, trailers, mobile homes, electric assistive mobility devices, etc.

What Happened March 1st?
    On March 1st, 2013, titled motor vehicles purchased on or after March 1st, 2013 become:

• Exempt from sales and use tax
    • Exempt from annual ad valorem tax
    • Will be subject to an $18 title fee & the $20 annual registration fee
    • Will be subject to a title ad valorem tax (TAVT)*
    Title work must be presented in the county of owner’s residence. Payment of TAVT and Title application fee must be paid at the time of applying for the title. All changes in ownership will require the TAVT.

*Excluding immediate family transfers and certain inheritances.
    *Excluding commercial vehicles registered under IRP.
    *Excluding Veteran Purple Heart Recipients, 100% Service Connected Disabled Veterans, Veterans receiving a grant to purchase a van with special equipment, and former POW’s.
    *Once TAVT is paid on a vehicle, you are not subject to annual ad valorem (Birthday Tax) at the time of renewal.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  7. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    When I talked to Landstar, I thought they told me if I titled and tagged my truck in Illinois I wouldn't have to pay Sales Tax. @fortycalglock knows more about this, I remember him explaining it once before.

8. Bro_Dave

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks. No they said I was exempt from ad-valorem tax. So the sales tax exemption must be only for vehicles purchased in GA. Thus sales tax is owed for out of state purchases. Ouch!

9. Bro_Dave

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks but Landstar told me in order to get an Illinois title I had to have an Illinois address.

10. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    All interstate trucks are registered under IRP, therefore required to pay 2290 and should be exempt from sales tax. My truck is titled in WY and registered through Landstar in IL. No sales tax. Just had to fill out a form claiming exemption as rolling stock. For $9K I would be looking for a second opinion, your county clerk might not know what they're doing. Ask someone else or call the next county over.

Edit to add: When claiming exemption they should ask for Landstar's DOT number and a copy of your lease agreement to show you are asking for a valid exemption.

whoopNride Thanks this.
  11. Bro_Dave

Nov 5, 2013
    i
    the information you posted states the bill was passed to spur economic growth " in Georgia." Thus the sales tax On out of state purchases

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.