My favorite part of flatbedding?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by God prefers Diesels, Dec 2, 2020.

1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    You only log sleeper birth if you're in your gd sleeper. But see that other line? Called OFF DUTY? Yep thats there to be used for every other time you are not logged as driving or on duty.

You log off duty, you can do whatever you want. Sleep in the cab, hang a hammock under the trailer, sleep on top of the trailer. Go on a 10hr hike. Bang a lot lizard for 10hrs straight. It doesn't matter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Well..... I would not Tell DOT that you slept in a day cab I think they would have something to say about it....

BackwoodsGA Thanks this.
  4. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    None of the DOT's business where you slept. Off duty is off duty and that is all you need to tell them.

chivy, Aamcotrans, tommymonza and 3 others Thank this.
  5. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    While I agree.. I shouldn't have to tell you that DOT is not your friend. What's going to happen when everybody gives this guy advice and tells him it's OK to sleep in a day cab, and DOT puts him out of service for fatigued driving?

6. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    If he is stupid enough that he tells the DOT that he slept in the cab, even though it is not illegal, just can't log sleeper, then that's on him. If they asked me where I slept, I would tell them I was off duty. Period. They might ask for hotel receipts but those receipts are not something that companies/drivers have to save or produce for inspections. In fact, the drivers using a CLC card, or the like, do not even get receipts.

7. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    I am already plenty friendly with the guards, it is just the way that place is. They only unload a certain number of trucks a day.

It is a common thing for drivers to all pitch in for a big pizza delivery or else we head on down to the truckstop and restaurant half a mile down the road for dinner.

They got mostly Fraley and Schilling and loudon county trucks hanging out there for days because their loads pay a whole lot.

Tug Toy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. H827OUT

H827OUT Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I like that theres usually an attitude among flat bedders of helping each other out. Most guys will help you out with a securement or loading question- if you ask. I had a Home Depot delivery a couple of weeks ago in St George, UT of 20' # 4 rebar- it was a tarped load. Another flatbed driver was behind me in the driveway behind the store- waiting to unload. I pulled the tarps off the load, stretched them out, got all the folds out. As I'm getting ready to fold the first tarp I look up and this driver that was parked behind me was on the other end of my tarp saying 'hey lemme help you with this." He helped with all 3 tarps. After we finished we must've shot the breeze for 15 minutes or so, till I was empty. he had a partial load under his conestoga top, so I didn't get to reciprocate. Moments like these are why I really like doing this job

9. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    The part of this story I didn't like is how you tarped rebar.

skallagrime Thanks this.
  10. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Nor am I. I guess I'm just lucky.

11. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    Yup...bend over..no lube.

MTN Boomer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.