My first and last week as a new Schneider Driver.

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Matt3400, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    began with Schneider. there just shy of 5 yrs. wasnt all sunshine and roses to be sure, but what I was taught there has served me very well.

consider this in choosing , what are your short term, mid term and long term goals? which company can help you meet those goals

I would pay out of pocket for school. sni did or does tuition reimbursement. imo that should be. a consideration as well.

good luck in your choice and your career.

3. RangersLeadTheWay

RangersLeadTheWay Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2022
    I’m a new trucker ( in school now) and this story seems to be the rule, rather than the exception. Especially the large carriers. Makes me wonder if I’m making the right choice, pursuing a career in trucking?? I understand that many of these stories you see in this forum have to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt, but when you see it over and over again, it makes one wonder!

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The US Census states that there are more than 3.5 million truck drivers in the U.S.
    3.5 million can't be wrong.

JOHNQPUBLIC and JoeTruck Thank this.
  5. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    When I made that response I thought about trying to explain to the op where his own actions contributed to the issues he faced. Schneider operations has a lot to answer for, but the OPs actions (or lack thereof) and inexperience in how things work led him into the briar patch.

Last week there was a driver sitting in the out bound driveway of a customer. I stopped to inquire if he needed assistance. He had a flat tire, off the bead and had been waiting for over 2 hours on SEM. He, like the OP had used the "report equipment defect" form that is only meant to open a work order and is not used when a driver is waiting with the equipment or stranded roadside. I walked him through the proper procedure and by the time I did my drop and hook the tire guy was rolling up. Week before that one of our drivers had a fuel issue - her engine died on the exit ramp and wouldn't restart. Plenty of fuel but the fuel pump wouldn't prime. When she talked with SEM, she neglected to make clear she was blocking the roadway so sem dispatched a repair unit, not a tow truck.

I can go back to my first year and tell stories about how messed up things were and point out which things were the company's fault and which were of my own making. It happens to all of us, we live, we learn.

Trucks break down, and with all the doodads on the modern stuff they can be hard to fix. Even with 'old iron' shop visits are rarely one and done. New drivers talk about the break downs a lot, old hands don't because it's just part of life - you take the good with the bad and move on.

I will also point out that most of the horror stories on here are by guys that are one hit wonders. They show up, make a few posts and then disappear forever. I find it interesting that they find someplace to complain, but didn't search out a place to learn and form a community that can help them through the rough patches.

I will end with this thought - the first 3 weeks on your own are the toughest. You will be frustrated, you will be angry, you will cry. Somewhere between 3 weeks and 3 months it starts getting easier. 6 months in you'll go back to a customer that traumatized you and wonder why it was such a big deal. If you look in the Schneider forum, there's a thread by @dieselfuelonly about his start in the industry. He did a pretty good job of showing the ups and downs and it tracks with the 3 weeks to 3 months timeliness of getting your sea legs.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

6. HillbillyTruckerJD

HillbillyTruckerJD Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2023
    Brother Matt....

Honor to have served with you. I'm 49 and prior service as well(US Army 1st Spec Forces Comm Det) ..and getting ready to sign on with Schneider in Phoenix for Inexperienced Driver Orientation and then off to JET SET OTR... Your experience has provided some valuable insight as to what FUBAR scenario may take place. I have backups 4 backups however... Just goes with the training...but I hear WAY more good reviews about Schneider than bad...and do feel ALOT better picking them over other Megas after multiple reviews in all. Understanding that SNAFU happens more and more with all megas in their values and views of the new "lowman" grunt CDL drivers, I acknowledge the fact that we must start at the bottomof the pecking order with equipment , but I feel COMMS & PMCS should BE PRIORITY over ALL ELSE. What happened in your case was DEFINATELY a NO GO as far as COMMS & PMCS.

I will definitely keep your story on file with me at orientation and bring up your EXACT scenario as a question put to the Orientation Instructors to see what they would recommend in your situation. I believe you gave it more than a SUFFICIENT amount of patience and intestinal fortitude to suck it up on the FUBAR'ed Op.

I can respect the fact that you tried everything within reason to allow redemption and couldn't blame you AT ALL for a PCS.

My only question is just one of inquiry on these OC's. Do they not have temporary quarters (Drivers lounge-food drink dispensers ) and Emergency Bunks for stranded drivers or Hotel vouchers...etc.. I noticed that you said you had to pay out of pocket for a hotel ...just curious ...

All Respects and Best Wishes Brother Matt... JD

7. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Hey 201,
    Are You referring to X1 Heavy?
    RIP?

Say it ain't so???
    (anyone w/info answer up, also, please?)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  8. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    He's not dead, just left the forum.

9. gentleroger

Jun 1, 2010
    His problem was two fold-

First this happened in the middle if a major winter storm. More calls are being made - both to Schneider and to maintenance vendors from all companies.

Second, he wasn't proactive. He waited until 1800 to check on the truck. He should have checked at 1500 and then dealt with 1st shift to get into a hotel and then a different truck.

If you stick around here (see the chat room), plenty of folks can help you navigate the rocks and shoals.

10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Problem #3, HBT JD is completely full of jello......it's frankly disgraceful and embarrassing

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.