My First Days At CRETE

Discussion in 'Crete' started by novoids, May 31, 2009.

1. novoids

novoids Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2009
    asheville NC
    HELLO,i will be leaving out this afternoon to head to spartanburg SC,to the crete terminal. monday will be my 1st day .i was told we will be doing paperwork (application , insurance ,payroll and such ) also a drug test, the company physical. also a work test ( i believe consists of some moving and lifting to see if we are fit enough to work this type of job )i will give more details as i learn more if i make it thru and as i make it thru !!!!.. then a road test.. i have packed for my expected 2 months out with a trainer ( being told i would only get home for 4 days somewhere in that 2 month period ) i have packed clothes to last me 2 weeks also a rain coat as it is summer no need for a large jacket my medicine ,a mock first aid kit, aspirin, immodium, heat rub , vitamins,shower supplies in a shower bag, with shower slippers, gold bond, 2 towels, shampoo soap,toothpaste , toothbrush, dont bring mouth wash my thought is there is alcohol in most so you would fail a test due to that if it has alcohol in it,baby wipes, also pillow, blanket, sheet set ive got a camara with all cords needed. phone with all chargers. and of course my laptop with the verizon wireless usb card approx $59 monthly..i will let you know how that works on the road as time goes by.i have a built in camera on laptop to see my family when i can so ill certainly let you all know how thats going..also ive got some $$$$ as they tell you to atleast bring $100 ...i guess that depends on your spending habits. i will sya the only thing i'm concerned about is not being able to speak to trainer 1st. to get a feel for him and what he suggests you bring and dont bring, now crete does give you a list and your space in truck is small so he or she would know best as to the space situation and needs..also does he have a microwave, refridgerator, and such i for one dont plan on eating out if i can help it /cost for one reason and health for another.. so as i have said i will continue updating as i can and hope this helps anyone new with any ? or concerns. i have so far been pleased with everyone at crete i have spoke to . i by no way pretend or imply to know evry thing but i have done my homework (and yes to you " negative toward new driver truckers." )ive done my homework as much as i could grasp from these forums and i know ive still got ALOT TO LEARN. so i hope that my sort of writings and rantings on here may help others going thru or thinking of going thru this profession with some of your ? or concerns. thank you for your time and be safe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Good luck with your training, novoids! Notarps started a good thread on what to take for training, and although you may have already read through it, I'll post it below in case you missed it or anyone else may be interested in it. The contributors to that thread had a lot of good ideas.

Keep us posted, okay? We'll be interested to hear how your experience is with Crete. :yes2557:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-drivers/16652-packing-list-for-students.html

4. Im4Jesus

Im4Jesus Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2009
    northeast
    Best of luck to you and Godspeed novoids:thumbup:

5. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Hey thats great!!! Best of luck and hopefully you'll get Evertrucker for your trainer. Crete would be my choice of carriers too.
    Be safe and let us all know how it goes.

6. candun

candun Bobtail Member

May 27, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I guess its always good to be prepared for those MOCK injuries :biggrin_25525:

7. novoids

Jan 10, 2009
    asheville NC
    ive askes the women at the terminal she said what ive packed is exceptable. how do you feel? ive got an army duffel bag full of clothing and showerbagloaded inside of it .. also a duffel bag with my pillow blanket and sheet set and rain coat and medicine and camera case.. and my laptop case also my clip board case for logging and paper work.. so in all 2 duffel bags and a laptop case and logbook case. ive down sized it a few times but i feel everything i have is needed . i guess where im going with this is i dont want to upset my trainer .but i hope im allowed alittle space ... your feelings????? thank you all be safe

8. cretelnd

cretelnd Bobtail Member

May 18, 2009
    muncie Ind
    GOOD LUCK NOVOIDS I will try to keep up with your training. I hope to be training sometime after the first of the year

9. luvtheroad

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    You should be OK, if your trainer thinks it's too much you can always send things back home. Don't worry, just concentrate on what's happening in your future. :biggrin_25525:

Civilservant Thanks this.
  10. novoids

Jan 10, 2009
    asheville NC
    hello all, well my first day at crete is in the bag.we were picked up at hotel by 8:45 driven to terminal. and finally met leeann whom i mite add couldnt have been more receptive or kind to us . we started off by doing paper work .yes paperwork.. and there is alot of it.. during which time we got in the crete company lexus ( ha ha LUMINA ) and headed off dwn the road to the docs office .first we did the work test. which consists mainly of doing 5 squats then some different leaning and bending and having the therapist push on you and pull on you .then some lifting weights in a milk crate to simulate different senarios to loading and unloading as you mite do a pallet and after a certain amt of reps the weight increases and in between each your pulse is taken to measure your differences which have to be in acceptable ranges..you alsom carry different amt of weights in a crate for 53' and step up al high step simulating getting into a trailor multiple times all the while your pulse is tested in between each.. to those of you not in shape or has high blood pressure i would honestly sugget lifting some weight just to get you ready for it or at least do some walking a couple weeks prior to this test it couldnt hurt... then if you pass you go next door for the new DOT physical / blood pressure/ vision / color chart/ urine screen and doctors check up. they really take this seriously. it isnt your hometown doctor going to let you skate by i say that so you all know to be as prepared as you can for this. then back to terminal for ( yes) even more paperwork.. we would have done road test but all the drivers there had aquired the few parking ares and didnt want to pull there truck out to use to test us. as for testing to my knowledge any driver who happens to be there on that day and has the qualifacations crete requires can test you... so we were told we would road test tommorrow.. and see some movies... and also for anyone who didnt pass work or DOT i believe has an oppurtunity to go back to to the doctor to try there luck again...so i feel as though they want to try to work with you." its not just you failed go home. " ... so overall my 1st day i would have to say went as well as could be expected and again i thank leeann for her kindness at the spartanburg SC terminal.. well enough rambling for tonite.. again to all i hope this helps at least one person.. god bless you all and be safe... AND PLEASE FORGIVE MY TYPING AND PUNCTUALITY OR LACK THEREOF AND SPELLINGOR INCORRECT SPELLING . I WILL TRY TO GET BETTER AS TIME GOES ON

11. luvtheroad

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Hahaha, don't worry about your spelling just keep doing posts so we can all read about your "adventures" into your new career. Good luck!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.