My First Truck

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by StewBurner2015, Dec 26, 2017.

1. StewBurner2015

StewBurner2015 Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2017
    Hello Fellow drivers,

Need some advice, or information on the next few steps I will be talking with my new truck. Currently I am driver for Knight Transportation as a Van driver part time on the weekends, also I am a dump truck driver for Logan development in Kingston Washington.

I just received an awesome deal on a 1991 White GMC day cab with a Cat engine that can pull just about anything, I was lucky to pick this tractor for only 5000 dollars and get this it runs fantastic with only 250,000 miles on it.

My questions, I know about Van work and I know dump work. I am currently looking for a trailer for my truck and looking on what jobs I want to be doing. I was thinking about equipment hauling, End dumping trailer or van. I have experience in all them. For all you Super truckers out there that have been doing this a really long time, please lend this old Veteran some information and help me get my foot in the right direction.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    If there ain't no pics it don't exist!!

4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Dude, you are the super trucker! Call some of your buds, see who needs what and if they are willing to lease you on. If not, get your own authority. Call some insurance companies to see what the rates are for your type of work. I haul freight, no idea what it costs to insure dirt. ;-)

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
  6. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    It's probably 1 mil 250k...

Snotrockettt Thanks this.
  7. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Volvo bought White, GM used to own them, LOL! I used to own a White too! If the body is good, who cares if the motor is good.

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I remembered White Freightliner, then they split up. I only recall GMC.

9. cmrdev

cmrdev Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    Not sure this is a good truck to quit your job and start your own gig with unless you are set financially and its just a part time gig you plan on doing. If starting a trucking gig with a first truck only cost 5k, im sure everyone would be doing it. 250k miles on a 91. My buddy picked up a second truck over the summer, a 94 freightliner with Detroit 60 in it. Only had 200k on it. The floor is starting to rust out, all the gaskets leaking on the motor and everywhere else. Hoses everywhere are starting to leak. Unless the thing was kept in a bubble and was some sort of show truck with those low of miles, Your gonna have some work to do every weekend as no issues pop up during the week. Brake chambers all rotted on the insides, bolts rusted and brking hose leaks. Sure you thought of all this. You happen to have any pics of this rig.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    White GMC?

As in Brigader? or perhaps a General?

Are you teasing us?

Also...

Super Trucker is not a good term to use. Just say Driver or Professional is adequate.

11. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    If memory serves me correctly it was white, then white/GMC, then white/GMC/Volvo, then just Volvo!

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.