My first trucking job, Dot Foods

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by bdryan, May 30, 2014.

1. 3milebaywaker

3milebaywaker Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Im not sure about a fitness test other than the one to get your medical card, but for my state we just pissed into a cup with a quick dr. exam. If you have high BP, most likely youll only get a 6mos or 1yr medical card.

I worked in the warehouse for 3 years before switching over, DOT pays you to attend school and for the school itself if you drive 3 years for them.

Yes they are picky, if you already know a current employee it's often easier to get hired. Still not a guarantee but they are a family company.

I'm a NY DOT driver for almost 2 yrs now, wouldn't go anywhere else.

GregH65 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jimbo29

jimbo29 Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Grand Island,NY
    3Mile,

I'm thinking about NTTS in Buffalo and DOT is one of the companies they seem to advertise for. How's the hometime with them? And do you know if their hiring out of Buffalo at this time? Thanks!

4. 3milebaywaker

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I guess the easiest way to start this is, DOT wants you to live within 100 miles of the DC because anything more than that...well I can only assume that they see those people as unreliable due to the travel distance. Winter snow storms are a good example. Now we do have guys which live more than 100 miles away, but these guys usually sleep in their trucks at the DC during the week and go home on the weekends. I live 7 miles away so I am normally home Mon, weds, Fri nights and full day saturday off. This is not always the case, depends on what they have you doing. I like $$$$ so I usually do 3 runs a week as a wild card, I go all over new england and up to almost the top of Maine.

We are about 1 mile off the NYS thruway exit 38, which IIRC is 130ish miles from the first toll booth in buffalo. I can't remember the MM, our exit is 286MM.

5. ELCOYOTE

ELCOYOTE Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2014
    I just filled out the online app for DOT. I'm in school at Premier CDL in Bradley Illinois. The recruiter came in a while back and DOT sounds like a good deal. I visited family in Decatur and kept seeing DOT trucks up and down 72 and felt it was a sign to finally fill out the application.

6. 3milebaywaker

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I'm waiting for the day where Mt. Sterling, Illinois ( DOT'sheadquarters) changes its name to DOT. That's all there is is that town. Everyone who lives there pretty much works for DOT Foods. Lol... Still good company either way.

7. jet460

jet460 Heavy Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Modesto, Ca
    Sounds more like CDL school, than a trucking company. What's with the shoe shopping?

I have an interview in Modesto tomorrow.
    Trying to get in a as a transfer driver.
    I have my own shoes. lol

8. GregH65

GregH65 Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Modesto, California
    That's because its not a trucking company, its a food distribution company that takes care of its employees. This you will learn....

9. jet460

jet460 Heavy Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Modesto, Ca
    The shot me down in flames over a fix it ticket. Hard to believe.

10. GregH65

GregH65 Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Modesto, California
    I think the window on tickets is two years, but I'm not sure. I had none, but did have a two year old, minor, non-commercial accident. I initially interviewed in 2012 and got shot down too. Worked at tiger for a year and then reapplied.

11. 3milebaywaker

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Had to be something more than a fix it ticket. If you failed to correct the infraction and paid the fine I can only assume they see you as showing negligence. If you don't take care of your own vehicle, you probably would over look an issue with a $120k+ vehicle putting yours and others safety at risk.

Now I am not saying that is what happened, nor saying your a negligent person but I can only assume that is might be how they saw it.

Pre-trips are VERY important.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.