My friend is a local driver, yet claimed max per diem on taxes. Legal?

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by bluestreet, May 30, 2017.

1. bluestreet

bluestreet Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I am genuinely interested in this. He has a permanent address, but he never goes home. He is on a local gig and drives across state lines to make deliveries and the truck has a sleeper and every night when he completes his shift, he returns back to headquarters and lists himself in the sleeper. Tax time came and he claimed the max per diem and got back a nice refund. He said by listing himself in the sleeper every night, that is proof that he did not go home, even though he lives about an hour away.

Is this legal? He also stated he's done it the year before as well and can prove he never went home because he doesn't own a vehicle to drive an hour back home and his boss can verify that he has never went home.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    No not legal if he returns to same place every night. Logging sleeper does not matter. If audited he will pay.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    https://www.jacksonhewitt.com/Resource-Center/Deductions-at-work/Truck-Driver/562/

You must determine the location of your tax home before you can determine whether you are traveling away from it.

• Generally, your tax home is your regular place of business. It does not matter where you live.
    • Your tax home includes the entire city or general area in which your business or work is located.
    • If you have more than one regular place of business, your tax home is your main place of business.
    • If you do not have a regular or a main place of business because of the nature of your work, your tax home may be the place where you regularly live.
    • If you do not have a regular place of business or post of duty and there is no place where you regularly live, you are considered a transient and your tax home is wherever you work

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I think there is a possibility of a audit here.

We take per diem only on service days logged more than 120 miles from home. The physical address. In 2001 it came to 306 days for two people filing jointly. The Per diem that year came to around 13700 to throw against taxes on 65K. It made for a windfall year. That was the one of few years that Uncle Sam pretty much took care of our entire annual food budget and laid a groundwork for a new pile of savings for the coming year of trucking.

Logbooks are held 8 years against a audit in case it becomes necessary to prove each of the 306 days claimed to be logged more than 120 miles from our physical home address.

crb Thanks this.
  6. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I don't see anything wrong with what he's doing as he is not raising any flags. If you feel he is cheating the gov't send them a donation and they will no doubt spend wisely:)

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Really, it is called tax fraud.

It is a crime.

He gets into an audit, it will without a doubt it will be a disallowed deduction because he will ask to prove this and they will ask the company to provide the pick up and delivery points to see if he is lying, then he will get hit with a fine, have to pay interest going back to the year of the return and the taxes that were supposed to be paid.

crb Thanks this.
  8. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    Illegal but who really cares, I'm sure they could find something iffy on all of our tax returns if they really wanted.(I've had some iffy years) lol if half the country actually paid taxes the tax burden wouldnt hurt us working folk so hard.. scrap the earned income bs and throw a flat tax rate across the board and maybe I wouldn't get a little stingy when it came time to pay Uncle Sam...

9. ASmallFleetDriver

ASmallFleetDriver Light Load Member

Oct 16, 2016
    ChicagoLand
  10. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    I am all for someone getting one over on the government. Kudos to that man!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.