My honest, no BS, opinion of P.A.M.

Discussion in 'PAM' started by ChipW, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    I have a pretty good relationship with my driver manager.
    That said, my regular dm said that my pta was 06:00.
    Just cause I was falling asleep a night manager called me.
    He said you had a 10 hour break let's roll! I said I was promised 06:00. He said that's not right you shouldn't be sitting still for eighteen hours.

I suppose it's needless to say I left about 06:00 this morning.

Only reason I do not turn my cell phone off is because it is my alarm clock.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kevo The Trucker

Kevo The Trucker Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Homewood, IL.
    I start orientation next week on the 31st. I'd just like to know how long is the orientation with PAM, and how long is otr training with a trainer before I'm upgraded to solo status.

4. Dave 1960

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    It was three days of o. And I was on a trainer truck 5 weeks.

YMMV...

Kevo The Trucker Thanks this.
  5. Kevo The Trucker

Kevo The Trucker Bobtail Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Homewood, IL.
  6. kevin3155

kevin3155 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Call SRT for a good job

7. Dave 1960

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    I very much like my daytime dispatcher. The rest of the crew are morons at the very least.

I will be going to Cicero, IL for the second time in not many days.

After being sent for an empty that was NOT where the planners said it was.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    I'm starting training at C1 in Ft Wayne IN on may 16th. I live in central PA near Altoona. I really don't mind travelling (IMHO anyone who does shouldn't be looking into this industry) and it gives me an excuse to take the bike on a road trip.

I have read a lot about PAM here and alot of it doesn't seem to jive with the propaganda they post on the recruiting site (ie. most trucks less than 3 years old). Whatever PAM can be a means to an end for me. I'm pretty laid back and have no real bills or responsibilities left once my divorce is final.

I have to laugh when I hear people complaining about having to wait for someone else to fix their equipment. In my old job (gravedigger, cemetery maintenance, headstone maker) when something broke I had to fix it myself. Ahh the joys of working for inlaws. Fun story, I'm digging a grave with an aging POS woods backhoe and while pulling an especially beefy rock out of the hole my backhoe arm breaks at the lower main joint. It snaps right off taking the cylinder with it and ripping hydraulic hoses. I get fluid spraying everywhere. The backhoe, which I had to weld about every 3 graves is totally fubar. I get my father in law who is owner of the company out to see the damage. The first words out of his mouth are "why can't you weld that back together?". I'm good but not that good.

I guess it's also good that I really don't need the money that bad, I just want to do something different with my life. One question I do have. I found out I'm supposed to do team driving after my training, but I might not if there are no dedicated lanes near me. I'd rather solo. I live in central PA. Is there a chance since I seem to be so far from the depots that I get get solo runs. I'm happy to drive anywhere, the farther from home the better. But I do still want to come back regularly to see the GF and her rugrats occasionally. Also, if running solo are we allowed to have a non driver on a run with us? My girl would love to leave the kids with Gma for a week or too and see what I do.

Moer questions as I think of them.

Almost forgot...is is true the fleet is still in transition from auto to manual transmissions? I have been driving 1 ton T plates all my life for my old business running dump beds and flat beds and absolutely abhor auto transmissions. I really dont want my 1st year experience to be on an auto and not get any stick time as I cannot see how that will help me in the future.

9. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    First, the website does say that the average age is 3 years old. They kinda went away from this during the last year, but are also going back to it. We are getting 50 new trucks a month until the end of next year, although I still havent seen any of them...lol (was supposed to get first batch in April)

About the team...They generally want to find someone that lives in your area, so that the two of you can go on hometime together, instead of one person this month in Virginia, one person next month in Pennsylvania. I have also heard that they are kinda going away from this, to get more trucks on the road. But, I also know that my last student just lost his truck after one week when he went home to get into one with a team. I don't know, but I'm with you. I'd rather be alone. (although I train..lol)

You are allowed to have someone ride with you, however you have to wait till you are 1st seat, and even then I think its after 90 days? I'm not sure. Since she is not immediate family, you have to buy insurance, at like $25-30 a month. Not sure on the exact cost.

About transitioning from auto to manual...the new trucks are supposedly manual, but who knows till they actually start getting them in. lol I'm with you. I drove stick before I got hired on, had an auto with PAM my first year, finally got back into a stick..then one year after I had to back up another PAM's truck (after he hit me I wouldnt let him try again lol) WOW...I thought I'd have to let him do it. I could not back that auto up to save my life...anyhow..Have fun in school, see ya when you get on the road. And don't expect to get rich. ;)

10. Dave 1960

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    My day DM. Who I had trained left the company. I DO NOT blame him.
    I seem to be on a dedicated between Shreveport, LA and Lockport, NY.

Only problem is Home is NOT between the two!!!

Great miles (well good) about 2500 a week.

Would be GREAT if I could 10 or 34 at the house.

11. gravdigr

gravdigr Road Train Member

May 2, 2011
    Hollidaysburg, PA
    Sounds good. I'm not out to get rich, at first. Really aside for a cell phone bill and storage rent (divorce, need somewhere to store my stuff lol) pretty much everything else is getting banked for maybe 5 years. My girl makes good $ for at least the next 5 years. Then I'll hopefully have enough to get my own rig and go O/O....or get some property and a nice getaway cabin in the woods hehe.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.