My IFTA account is flagged

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by m16ty, Aug 11, 2022.

1. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    That would be because WI would think they owed them money. The TN IFTA office doesn't send the IRS a dime, any federal fuel tax owed is already paid at the pump. Only time the IRS would be involved is if you travel out of the country. I've never been outside the country my whole life, much less in a truck. What business is it of the IRS to know how much state fuel taxes I pay in TN or any other state?

Show me some documentation anywhere that says the IRS is even involved in IFTA, yet my state office says they are. Any public info I've been able to find says it's and agreement among States and Canadian provinces, with no mention of the IRS in the agreement.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
    D.Tibbitt, Vampire and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Good thing "AModelCAT" is not my real name :p

4. Constant Learner

Constant Learner Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2011
    The Moon
    The fuel reported on IFTA affects your tax return. If you cheat on IFTA like many do,
    you cheat on your tax return. For example you can claim that you've used 5000
    gallons of fuel more than you actually did for a single truck only.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    About 5 years back inspectors in MN and CO. They both asked to dip my tanks for red fuel.

After they dipped my tanks.
    I asked them what would happen if I refused? Both had same reply.

"You can leave here with no issues, but the IRS will come knocking on your door."

I guess if it's a tax program in the US. The IRS is involved!

6. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I’d send an email reply asking for the documentation or a copy or a link to the IRS requirements for the TN IFTA program.
    And then make a copy of the form you had to sign and just staple it to the next net zero quarterly filing , so they won’t have to ask for it .

m16ty and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    Yeah, but you’re still a cat. Let the IRS figure that one out.

264CDE04-51CF-45AB-8005-21273C8A370C.jpeg

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Maybe that ifta employee ur talking with is like most government employees. Clueless about what they are talking about.

RefMata, Siinman, wis bang and 5 others Thank this.
  9. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The "Several States" can't make an agreement with a foreign government, thus the feds are involved. If the Federal Government is involved in taxation, the IRS takes the lead.

Beyond that, it's entirely likely that @D.Tibbitt is correct, that the employee you talked to was conflating the IRS with whatever the TN revenue service is called.

wis bang, Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Reminds me of IRP. Used to have to guess what States you might need. If you needed to add a State, a whole new plate was required, via fax service. Big hassle. I always carried Wi. Just in case. First year I didn’t go there. When I renewed because I had 0 miles, they averaged my miles and charged me about $70. After that, I always had at least 2 miles in Wi. Every time, the load I went after cancelled. Pure coincidence. That’s my story, I’m sticking to it. Same thing could happen in this case. A load could always cancell in Ms., Ar., Mo., Al., Ga., N.C, Any State you find yourself close to, Ky. if you have to. The KYU, is best avoided if possible. Just another hassle.

RedForeman, Siinman, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I did as for a IRS clarification, noting but crickets so far.

All they did was make he sign a affidavit affirming that my return was true, to clear the deal. I guess the electronic signature with my return wasn't enough.

That did cross my mind, and could actually be true. Something has changed with the regulations though, because I've had zero sum returns in the past and this is the first time my account has been "flagged", and the girl in the office said there were new regs handed down. I did get audited several years ago, but I'm pretty sure that was purely random.

D.Tibbitt and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.