My journey as a new driver, only a few months in…

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Newdriver813, May 28, 2023.

1. Newdriver813

Newdriver813 Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2023
    Well, my trainer didn’t teach me much and I had to learn a lot of stuff on my own.

Sometimes you have to make really bad mistakes to learn from them and that’s what I did my second week solo. I made the wrong turn on the wrong road and had the whole town in North Carolina pissed off . I got stuck in mud trying to back up and thought I would need to look for a new career fast.

I’ve learned to not make quick Decisions. Rest areas are your friends if you want to hop off the road for anything random reason. Trucker path app has been good to me, but I make sure to study the gps before the trip and whenever I stop at a rest area.

Ive had my first blow out in California and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

Finally got my fridge fixed after two months of not have one. Having an air fryer has definitely come in handy.

Now I’m currently trying to solve the problem of getting my butt comfortable in this seat.

As far as pay goes, I shoot for 1k a week but sometimes I fall short.

I’m not as nervous as I was with parking anymore. I usually just go and find something that is easy or find where there are two open spots and get in there. As far as squeezing in between two trucks I only do it if I really need to and if there’s enough room for adjustment.

now the goal is to continue to knock these bills down and save and ride my contract out and eventually look for other opportunities. But for now I think I’m okay with my situation. I definitely can see myself driving trucks for another year and a half, but then I think I would like to take a break and do the “family” thing.

Vic Firth, rpad139, tscottme and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    Make Google Earth part of your planning process. You can see exactly how to get into an address, if there is adequate parking, nearby overnight parking, etc.

The Waze app is another handy tool. It provides real-time traffic progress, police notifications, upcoming shoulder vehicle and debris notifications, lane closures, etc.

Siinman, Zoltan1a, tscottme and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Greamreaper

Greamreaper Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Your first year will be full of mistakes and low wages. But dont let it scare you. As long as you keep your truck up to date no violations or tickets or accidents. You can get a job anywhere. Backing is really important. When you have a good space. Give yourself time to strugle as a practice. So that in tight spaces you can lock it in. Thats what i do even after 5 years and half a mill miles later. If you drive the speed limit and keep the truck in lane most the time you dont have to worry about cops but the road and the traffic around you. Dont assume other cars or trucks do drive well, assume the worse and prepare dont be scared thou. If you are not afraid of the dark and drunk drivers. Nights are blitz. You will love it and some legends and rumors will come to you. If you are curious. Listen to some scary trucker stories on youtube to get you started. Good luck.

ducnut and tscottme Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Never drive past a weigh station with something that would be a violation if they inspected you. Every violation they find goes on your PSP score and your company CSA score. It will stay on your PSP for 3 years.

Siinman and ducnut Thank this.
  6. rpad139

rpad139 Heavy Load Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ca
    Draw a map. It helps so you don't get lost...trip plan

7. Charlie42

Charlie42 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2021
    Stop parking in truck stops and find spots off the beaten path to sleep. So many beautiful places that you can open the windows, watch the view and soak in your off time. Just have to work hard at looking at maps and finding those spots. Beats the hell out of waking up to 1000 rustling engines and fumes blowing.

Dennixx Thanks this.
  8. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I am the opposite, I won’t park anywhere but truck stops.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.