My journey at Landstar

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by runningman0661, Jul 7, 2021.

1. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Just winter blowing in… lol

runningman0661 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Truck ever get fixed?

4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Not yet. They are getting mixed reports from dealership. Got emails saying it’s in the shop and being worked on but then being verbally told it might be another week or two.

The guys in our breakdown department are reaching out to a KW RSM to see if they can get better intel or grease the skids.

runningman0661 Thanks this.
  5. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    So I pulled my last load for Landstar this week. I made a tough decision about a month ago for my business that I think will help me survive the coming storm of low and volatile freight rates and the economy in general.

Don’t get me wrong, I continued to still pull decent paying loads, but they were getting harder and harder to come by. Instead of spending a few minutes finding good paying freight that met my criteria, sometimes I would spend hours refreshing the load board, calling on loads that just popped up, to find they were already gone. An extreme example that was the straw that broke the camels back for me was, I had booked a direct customer load, got to the shipper in SC, after sitting there for two hours, the load canceled. I started looking for a load, and it literally took me five hours to find a load that met my criteria, that wasn’t gone within seconds of being posted.

In 9.5 months this year I’ve grossed over $199K at Landstar, but after listening to market analysis, and economists, it’s not going to improve anytime soon. Some analysts say it could be 2024 before things head back up. I was around in ‘08, and saw what happened, for me and my business I want stability and shelter from the coming storm.

I was leased to FCC for four years before I went to Landstar, I’m sitting in their parking lot as I type this, getting ready to start back here again.

They are awesome people, have steady contract freight, great freight lanes, and will keep me and my truck busy and profitable in the coming months.

I will miss the freedom Landstar provided, but I believe this is the best business decision for me in today’s environment.

6. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere

I strongly considered LS for several reasons, but in the end I elected to stay at Schneider. I can see retirement coming inside of two years (perhaps by next September), and decided with the market volatility factored in that I was better off just saying put,

Best of luck to you back at FCC.

7. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Smart. Good luck my friend. Seeing the complete downturn, companies acting like crack ###### fighting over freight, fly by night truck owners that are taking this cheap freight, and the economy truly in a downturn, now would be a good time to get the backing of a company that has what you need. Add to that you have a great relationship with them, you’ll survive this which will have you in a better position when this straightens out.

8. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Y'all do realize that this could well be an economic coup.

This may be much more than a cycle.

cdavis188, Zangief, JoeyJunk and 3 others Thank this.
  9. AsphaltFarmer

AsphaltFarmer Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2022
    New Mexico
    How does this economic coup play out if it is one?

10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Always a possibility.
    But in my individual case….I’m just sick of the whole mess and want out, be it coup, sedan, or hearse. :D

Zangief, dwells40, wulfman75 and 4 others Thank this.
  11. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    IF it's the one prophecied, it will be worse than you can imagine. IF!

48Packard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.