My journey at Landstar

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by runningman0661, Jul 7, 2021.

1. AsphaltFarmer

AsphaltFarmer Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2022
    New Mexico
    Which economic coup is the one prophecied?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. F4T6UY

F4T6UY Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Very South Texas
    IF…if, if my aunt had a pe nis , she’d be my uncle.

Been listening to prophecies the last couple years.

I’ll just keep my head down, hope I’ve prepared enough for whatever, and cross bridges when I come to em.

JJ 501, Opus, Speed_Drums and 6 others Thank this.
  4. YardMule89

YardMule89 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2021
    I'm asking this to try and learn the business, not being smart-assed about it, if it comes across like that I apologize.

So you were still running profitable at LS chasing revenue but loads were fewer and farther between that "fit that bill". I understand that part, but how is running for $1.50/mile and chasing miles any better? Is it the overall compensation at FCC with insurance/fuel discounts/etc that you feel won't hurt your bottom line?

5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    People have been predicting doom and gloom for years.99% of the time, it's no where near as bad as the experts and media wants us to believe. Be wary of the future? Sure.Hunker down under the covers? Not me.....

cdavis188, Vic Firth, TB John and 10 others Thank this.
  6. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    You have my attention. Please expand on this.

AsphaltFarmer and xlsdraw Thank this.
  7. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Me personally, I’d like to be around when the end comes. Either by a big rock, a nuclear apocalypse, or just a friendly press conference from the big boy at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave that the earth shifted off its axis and we have a week left on this old worn out rock.

cdavis188, Lonesome, dwells40 and 3 others Thank this.
  8. BigR

BigR Road Train Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Shawnee, OK
    Good to have you back here brother! Good luck to you sir, not that you will need it. You already know they will keep the wheels turning here. Hopefully we will cross paths one of these days.

9. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    I look forward to it.

BigR Thanks this.
  10. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Look, I’m a numbers cruncher, and before I made this decision I crunched a lot of numbers. So many people just look at the rate per mile.

On these two loads I’m currently assigned at FCC with the fuel surcharge are paying me $1.98 and $1.96 the naysayers will say that’s a horrible rate, but it’s not just the rate per mile that led me to this decision. I will save close to $14K annually at FCC from Landstar on things like plates. Here if you run at least 120K miles a year FCC pays for your plates and license fees. FCC pays all tolls, they pay my fuel and mileage taxes, they pay for my permits, and my 80K renewal. That alone is $8900. My cost to run Landstars plate was $2069, LS also charged EOBR air time fees, which last year came to $1996.00 for the year. FCC doesn’t charge for any of that garbage.

They have more freight than the can handle, they still have customers asking them to take more lanes and more freight. The head of sales today told me FCC plays the long game. When rates were through the roof they took care of their Customers, instead of being lured to put assets on the spot market and take of advantage of those historic rates, they remained loyal to their contact customers, and are being rewarded for that loyalty.

11. YardMule89

YardMule89 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2021
    That's exactly what I was curious about and I appreciate you responding. I figured there was "more than meets the eye" but wasn't sure.

cdavis188, Deacon Blues, Opus and 6 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.