My Journey To Becoming A Schneider Driver

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by HotH2o, Jan 21, 2013.

1. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Yeah. I quit because I found a local job pulling tanks. I'm taking home about $1000 a week with this job and I'm home every night. Plus I have weekends off.

When I was with schneider I was out 2 weeks, home 2-3 days. My DBL was great. Sometimes I stayed out longer. The thing to remember is if you're home every week you aren't making any money. I can't give you any details about a dedicated account as I never worked one.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner710

Gunner710 Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Oak Park, CA
    How hard is it to go from OTR to a local gig like that? DO I ned to expect to pay my dues for 1, 2 or more years? Thanks again for your helpQ

4. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Are you in Oak Park near sacramemto? It was easy for me because I had previous experience before I let my CDL go. 10 years had passed when I decided to get it back. If you're in Sacramento area it will be easy for you to get a local gig. The company I work for has hired a few guys with no experience. If you can drive he'll hire.

Gunner710 Thanks this.
  5. Lady_Truck

Lady_Truck Light Load Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    You will have to talk to the recruiter to see what they think about the school. Actually, I went to a school they don't necessarily approve of, but since I made it for over two years accident free before applying with them, they made an exception. From what other Schneider drivers have told me, they were not forced to go through a particular school. And when I was with Schneider, they no longer had a CDL school. The rule was that they would take a fresh graduate and put them through training, repay the tutition, and you would get your sign on bonus in payments. Mine was paid to me in the first six months that I worked there.

Gunner710 Thanks this.
  6. Gunner710

Jun 6, 2013
    Oak Park, CA
    I am in Oak Park outside Los Angeles. I think I will call some of the big companies as well as talk to the school I am planning on attending about job placement. Its better to have to many options than not enough. Thanks again for your help.

7. Lady_Truck

Jun 6, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    After six months with Schneider you can change the kind of work you do if you want to go from OTR to regional or local. Just remember to work locally, you have to live close to the place you will be running out of.

Gunner710 Thanks this.
  8. Lady_Truck

Jun 6, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Don't worry- that is just a God-given defense mechanism to filter out the unwanted sound particles......
    :biggrin_25523:

9. Gunner710

Jun 6, 2013
    Oak Park, CA
    Lady, do you know how close? I think Fontana is the the closest center to me and that is still about 85 miles away. Is that too far? Or would I be better off driving OTR for a year and then trying to find a local gig?

10. Lady_Truck

Jun 6, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I live 98 miles from the nearest OC, so it wouldn't be a problem to live that far from Fontana if you can get there. It would probably be best to drive regionally for them on a dedicated account (predictable pay and miles, plus more hometime), but if you like OTR that would be good, too.

Gunner710 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.