My journey with Jim Palmer Trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bigfish59, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Jayfromthenw

Jayfromthenw Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    Glad you are enjoying your experiance there.

I had a good first year there.

Tyler is cool, dane was awesome. Forgot the dispatcher I had before I left, he was alright but I'll give him slack he was newer.

Now, bill the nighttime dispatcher is a extremely experienced driver and always had great advice and awesome stories. He does get grumpy but who wouldn't!

I enjoyed the western 11 dry van a lot. I wasn't a huge fan of the reefer side.

They treated me right the whole time I worked there, I only left for a better local job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigfish59

Bigfish59 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2018
    Seems I can't go back to edit after a period of time. But I wanted to add an update on the C-Seat portion.

Payday came and rather than the $600 min gtd, I grossed over $800 @ .12cpm c rate. Almost 7k miles. Better yet, my lease op trainer made his biggest check ever and tossed me a very nice bonus. Makes a huge difference when you haven't seen a wage in 7 weeks.

We did a 34 hr reset, and since then we haven't run as hard. But I'm going to be B-seat by the time we drop Sunday I believe. My trainer and I ran 8/2 for a cpl loads to make deadlines and kept our breaks super short. Turning two nearly impossible loads in on time. Now we're on a slower pace for a cpl days.

I'm taking more responsibility planning and learning gps, communications with dispatch as well. Everything about this gig is a large learning curve. New things daily to try not to forget. It isn't just driving down the highway. That's easy.

Less than 4 weeks to go before I can go solo!

4. nqSupes

nqSupes Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Odell, Oregon
    How is life in the truck when you both aren't driving, are the close quarters getting to you? I'm also curious if Jim Palmer put you through any tests for sleep apnea?

Thanks.

5. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    I wasn't required to be tested for sleep apnea. As I understand it, excessive weight is a factor in being tested. I'm only maybe 25lbs overweight.

I actually sleep better in the top bunk. We haven't had many occasions where we were both on break in the truck. Just a few. Obviously living with a stranger for a extended period isn't easy. Especially when it's his truck and you really have no say. I try to get away every moment I can. Not that he's an issue. He isn't really. But I think those times even if only 10 mins away make it better.

That being said, I look forward to the small space being mine to do with as I wish. Gotta pay your dues though.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @BlueThunderr - a little information about Jim Palmer Trucking cdl school this thread.

BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  7. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    So here's a bit of an update:

I'm over 20k miles into the 30k the website shows as paid training. We just took 2 days off.

I'm probably going to do an extra week with the trainer before going back to Missoula and doing my solo week. My backing needs improvement. Sometimes it's ok and then I screw the pooch. Today wasn't bad imho. I had to back in a double "S" fashion about 250 yards to get to the dock. Handled the S parts well, but had to do a couple pullups to get into the dock. Took a bit longer than experienced guys, but I didn't hit anything and got it.

But I do need to improve.

Training mgr will update me and I'll do what's needed.

All for now!

8. Kodiakkodak

Kodiakkodak Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Thanks for this @Bigfish59 if all goes well I'll be on my way to moments around Monday with JP and this thread has been useful. I'm just curious what types of loads are you typically hauling? What kind of wait times are you getting for lost and unload? What are the main areas you're loading and unloading in? And insight would be massively appreciated

Bluedew Thanks this.
  9. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    I'm doing dry van regional. Paper for print, beer, soda, furniture, recycling paper, flour,etc.

LA to WASHINGTON, Great Falls to SoCal, Denver, Bay Area, etc.

Lots of drop and hook. Sometimes lost time waiting, but not bad really.

Bluedew and Kodiakkodak Thank this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Jim Palmer is not involved with Jim palmer trucking as it is owned by Wilson Logistics now.

Unless you are driving for Jim Palmer Express.
    Just a tid bit of information.

11. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    That's correct. Jim Palmer trucking is part of Wilson Logistics.

Jim Palmer has Express, as you noted.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.