My journey with Jim Palmer Trucking

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bigfish59, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Bigfish59

Bigfish59 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2018
    NqSupes, I wasn't looking for any home time. It depends on who your trainer is, where they live, and when they take home time. Some trainees get home weekly, or a few times total. Others, like me, want to get it over with asap.

I haven't taken time off since I left on this journey July 23rd. No plans to do so. I've got a further goal I'm working towards.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nqSupes

nqSupes Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Odell, Oregon
    I see, thanks for the info.

Bigfish59 Thanks this.
  4. meterman1976

meterman1976 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Haven't heard from you in awhile, hows it going at Jim Palmer,still liking it?

Bigfish59 and nqSupes Thank this.
  5. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    Yesterday was 2 months in the new truck. I've put 22, 956 miles on her.

Last week's payroll showed over 3800 miles for the week. One load was dropped at a yard two days early in the previous week . So I didn't see that until it was delivered in the next pay period.

I've been overall quite satisfied with working for Jim Palmer trucking. A few minor frustrations. But nothing major. I think, and I could be wrong, they know I want to run. Thus they have mostly kept me going from one load to the next.

I had my first level one inspection a few weeks ago. Passed with zero issues and got a congrats from the office and a $100.00 bonus added to my check.

Next week's check will suck. Only about 2100 miles . But that was more of a weather issue. But here it is Monday morning, day 1 of the week and when I start my clock, I'm 25 minutes from my drop on a nearly 1300 mile run. A good start to the week.

So yea. I'm glad I'm here.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Whats your biggest frustrations at the company? Nothing is perfect so lets hear the cons.

7. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    My only real frustration is when I don't have a preplan for the next load when I'm at the dock dropping. I think that's because my FM is newer. My first FM was very good and almost always sent me a preplan before I arrived at receiver. The combination of me being a rookie and my FM being a rookie and not really knowing what it is to drive makes me a little less confident if I have a question, that the response will be correct.

Other than that I'm good. Had a cracked windshield one morning when I woke and had no load assignment. I was at our Portland yard, so I called in and said let's get it done before I get a load. They had a factory new windshield installed that morning .

I also had a load that I was obviously going to be able to deliver 36 hrs early, but the recipient wouldn't take early arrival. So I asked for a day off in my hometown, Las Vegas on the way . No problem, take a day off. The only one I've asked for in 7 months.

I took advantage and unhooked trailer and PC'd to get eye exam and new glasses. Glasses are ready now and they're going to work me through to pick them up.

I think I'm lucky . I got in with a company that seems pretty decent.

Rugerfan, Adieu, Bluedew and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Bigfish59

Jul 3, 2018
    One year ago this past week I drove up to Missoula ,Montana to train and hope I could handle it and make a good living.

It's been a year of new stuff nearly daily. I've put on 140k+ miles. Taken 10 days off, and a few forced days scattered about.

I've had 5 inspections including today's level 3 and passed them. Earned $100 on each of these.

I've had a couple close calls with some absolutely stupid truck drivers out there playing cowboy. When you jeopardize my safety or the safety of others I'd just really like to bust your kneecaps with a hammer. Alas, I don't want to visit the pokey more. I expect cars to do stupid ####. But truck drivers should know better.

I can say I've worked my ### off towards my goals. Debts are nearly paid. Saving money for the goal, moving to the Philippines for retirement in a few years. It's a little easier when you live in the truck and don't pay rent. But it's a lot harder lifestyle also.

I bought a instapot and have been cooking in the truck. Nothing fancy, just stews and pot roasts that I can eat for a few days. I'll expand my repertoire slowly there.

All in all I'm mostly happy coming to this company as a newbie. There's frustration with sitting from time to time. Or being given bad appointments. Or sitting at a dock for 6 hrs to load when I arrive on time and a major beer company (ahem Coors) doesn't give a #### about burning my clock. Fortunately, the frustration isn't every day.

Till the next time, be safe out there!

Rugerfan, BlueThunderr, Adieu and 7 others Thank this.
  9. akfisher

Apr 23, 2015
    Awesome job man Ive been watching your thread. I love the Philippines too. Just spent nearly a month in Cebu in April

Bigfish59 and dwells40 Thank this.
  10. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    Pics or it never happened.

FlaSwampRat, Bigfish59 and dwells40 Thank this.
  11. akfisher

Apr 23, 2015
    lmao

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.