My journey with Orange starts

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by softail, Jul 21, 2014.

1. taugust

taugust Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Cuyamaca, CA
    Softail, glad it seems to be working out for you. So do you like what you are doing? Is it something you think you will like to do long term? I ask, because I had considered that job, but didn't think I would like the constant city driving, traffic, and tight spaces.

I accepted the position with Stevens Transport, Tanker Division. I will start on March 7th. My last day with Schneider was last Friday. They seemed to be sorry to see me go, which was nice. Schneider treated me pretty well, but I need to bump the income up, and there wasn't much chance of a quick jump of any significance anytime soon.

With Stevens, I will be hauling frac sand in south Texas. I will be out a minimum of three weeks, with 4 days off. The jump in salary is supposed to be about 20%, but we shall see. It's not a mileage rate, it is percentage of load, but I was told most drivers average $1100 to $1200 per week. I will be based near San Antonio, and working all over south TX, mostly in the backcountry. I plan to stay about a year, then move on to something that pays better, either in sand, which still has jobs, or some other tanker job. I am betting that the price of oil is going to rebound soon.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RootHog

RootHog Heavy Load Member

May 23, 2008
    NWA
    I hope so!

4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Saudi Arabia isnt cutting production, Glut will remain until the higher cost to produce stuff sells off. SA claims they can let it drop to $20 bbl and still be profitable. Rest of Opec meanwhile withers on the vine and Iran is doubling the production that was allowed under sanctions. Chinas economy has shrank some and their demand has slowed.

Likely be worse before it gets better.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    drvrtech77 and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  5. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    My god, that's low for sand work :( get the experience you need to move on.

6. softail

softail Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    taugust, i agree that I was treated pretty good at SNI. Sorry I left on a little sour note. I enjoyed my time with SNI. I have nothing bad to say about them. Good people.

Yes, I am planning to stay long term with this. I am enjoying the job so far. The money is pretty good. Home every night. So far, avg between $1500.00- $1800.00 a week in 4 weeks. Just a little better then SNI. LOL. Several drivers grossed over 95K last year. That includes almost $4500.00 in bonuses. Was told if I get all my bonuses, should gross near 75-80K my first year no problem.

As far as be struck in traffic, it does not bother me at all. The reason is because I am now paid by the hour and not CPM. Like yesterday, it took a little over 2 hours to go 42 miles from Bothell WA back to Tacoma during rush hour. Just extended my day. Was on all day OT. Ended up a 13.5 hour day.

City driving and tight spaces is not much different than tight docks. Backing a gas hauler is a lot different than a 53' van. Still getting used to it. Practice, practice, practice. Pivot points are different of course.

Best of luck to you in TX.
    Stay in touch.

scythe08, Ketchikan baby and Grijon Thank this.
  7. softail

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    Week 5 completed. Worked right to my 70 hours last week. Only a week or so till my check ride.

Been staying after work to practice my backing.

8. El Viajero

El Viajero Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Very informative thread. I start my trucking school tomorrow and after that I go to Pittsburgh for training and orientation. Then in a few weeks il be hazmat certified and driving tankers around the is Midwest.

9. softail

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    Best of luck to you. I am really enjoying tankers.

Just finished week 7 of training. I test out on Tuesday. Have been averaging between 65-70 hours a week. My backing is getting a lot better, but still needs work.

Just got in my first millions gallons of diesel, gas, ethanol delivered his week.

Home_on_wheels and BackIsSore Thank this.
  10. softail

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    My check ride went well today. Tomorrow is a day of watching videos and more orientation stuff.

Grijon, drvrtech77 and mickeyrat Thank this.
  11. softail

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    Last night was the first night by myself. My shift starts at 15:30. Got done at 05:30 this AM. 4 jobs done.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.