My lease adventure

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Crazytrucker77, Mar 16, 2018.

1. jeff18

jeff18 Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2014
    pittsburgh, pa
    what kind of truck are you leasing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
  4. jeff18

jeff18 Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2014
    pittsburgh, pa
    do you like it? i'm curious? have been thinking of getting the same truck.

5. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    This is my second one and I loved both of them. I have already put 90k on this truck since Feb. and have only had two breakdowns which was covered under warranty. The only parts I have had to replace on the truck was the accessory belts and tensioners at 295K. The only negative I have noticed is the trucks are gutless but so are most of the trucks today. Just way tuned down and emissions choking them. It is a comfortable ride, but the turning radius is not great just need to get used to. All in all they are well rounded trucks and reliable IMO. The first upgrade you will want to do is put in a aftermarket seat. The factory seats are hard as #$%^ unless they come with the upgraded seats.

6. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    my numbers are in for a total of 10 months this year. So the question is how did I do. Well I was a success this year IMO.

Gross revenue = $170,484
    Expenses = $107,260
    Net profit = $ 63,224

Here is the mileage breakdown for those who want to see it.

Mileage = 87010

Gross = $1.96
    Expenses = $1.23
    Profit = # .73

Now this is before taxes and I will update once that is in but at this point I made double as a lease driver then I did as a company driver for this company last year. The company I work for is based in Oregon and runs the I5 corridor for the majority of their freight. I have learned a lot this last year and am looking forward to another good year for 2019. I have some big plans to increase all of these numbers for next year so wish me luck on achieving those goals. I can increase my revenue by 10% if I have my own trailer so that is the next thing to work on.

People like to put all lease programs in a category of "don't do it" but I am here to tell you it can be done if you do your research and find the right company. Don't let the neigh sayers get you down and do what you can to achieve your goals. Just remember every trucking company started with one truck and grew from there. Leasing is just one way to achieve the goal of owning a truck and it can be done with hard work, planning, and luck.

7. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    I just got the tax bill for last year. It came out to $ 7,550. So if you deduct that from my net that means my total profit to my business was $55,674. Just goes to show you the saying is true O/O's don't do it for the money they do it for the freedom. So I know this is not more then company pay. But lets run the numbers.

For a company driver to net the same amount as me they would have to gross $62,355 a year based on the 12% tax rate. Now I know there are places where that level of income is achievable, but here is the thing. How many get you home every weekend and will allow you to take basically a month off through out the year while still achieving that level of income. Most likely not many.

D.Tibbitt and stormy379 Thank this.
  8. highwayMike

highwayMike Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2019
    What kind of deductions did you miss for that $7k+ bill

9. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    None. My accountant was the one who did it up for me. My first accountant was giving me that figure quarterly so I think I got a deal lol.

10. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    You are sadly mistaken that you will have enough deductions to really lower your tax liability. If you are actually filling your taxes correctly as an O/O you will stay a hefty amount in taxes. What really gets you is the self employment tax. I made $208K last year, I had $112 in expenses and write offs. I paid quarterly taxes for a total of $18K and still have to stroke a $5K check and send in with my taxes next month.

11. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It hurts, but all paying the IRS means is that you earned money. That's not a bad thing.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.