My lease adventure

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Crazytrucker77, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    Ok the punches keep coming. My rig broke down on Tuesday last week but I was able to fix it myself on the side of the road. It did the same thing again Saturday about two miles from the same spot lol. This time it had to be towed from Yreka,CA to Phoenix, OR for a hefty $1100. I got it back Tuesday and was able to drive about 100 miles before it died again. Had it towed back and it has been in the shop basically all week. I talked to the mechanic this afternoon and they said I lost all fuel pressure due to bad seals for the injectors. When they gave me the truck back the other day they said it was a improperly installed O ring on the water separator filter ( I thought was complete BS.) and now they changed their opinion. Apparently this is a common problem with the MX13. Well I am looking at being out of work all this week and into Monday so I will keep you posted.

NightHawk365 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 338-Dark-Knights

338-Dark-Knights Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Not to steal your thunder roadtech; thanks for saying it, b/c you're absolutely right!

IT TAKES A VILLAGE. - Ever hear the phrase?
    Trucking isn't going to ever, ever return to the best of it's monopoly years. Too many forces working at it the wrong way. You need a team. A plan.
    Motivation/Dedication/Dependability/Word are all must haves for the character it takes to be Driver.

I need people that act like roadtech. Drivers who really see not just themselves, but the people they influence/affect in their daily journeys. Drivers who get it, but aren't appreciated. Drivers who desire the job because it's their love of it that takes them to the next level. I want better pay for anyone who has 97%+ on time delivery/promise to their clients, despite breakdowns/traffic/weather. I want better equipment for drivers who have no time for failure(s). I want a driver to be the next success story, because I can. I can help. I have options for better results, suited to Drivers because at it's source, it's driver oriented.

The industry isn't going to last if we allow the penny pinching. Change is on the horizon, and we'd do better to ban together and be the change instead of waiting for it to find us.

4. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    So here is the skinny on the last breakdown. I have to only pay for one tow bill and the first initial repair. Once the warranty repairs are all figured out I will have to pay for whatever is left. I don't have numbers yet except for my tow bill $1175 and first repair $1069. The truck has been running great this week and I am happy to be back earning money.

In the interest of being transparent here is the hard truth of this situation I am in now. If I didn't have the backing of the company I am leasing from I would not have had the money to pay these repairs. I would have had to use credit and gone in the red. What I have taken from this realization is that I should have not been so easy with spending the money I was earning last year so that I would have had a good amount of savings built up to get through these situations. That is why I have made some major changes in the way I handle my finances. I have been able to cut my fuel cost by $.13 cpm so far and have fine tuned my personal expenses. I am facing possibly having my first month ever in the red due to all the downtime and expenses I have had these last couple months. If I am lucky I will break even or make a very small profit.

I am figuring out the had way why a lot of people say you need savings from the start to do this. I am just lucky to have a wife that works and a company that will back me financially when needed. I am still going to power on and give it my all. I don't quit very easily and can be quite stubborn but I will not let this affect my personal well being. My wife told me when we talked about doing this venture that she don't care as long as it don't negatively affect our personal lives and finances. So far it hasn't and she has stepped up to help me so much lately so I can concentrate on fine tuning my business. She told my when we talked about this latest situation that we have some savings built up if needed to get though this. I told her I won't use it for the business but if it is needed to supplement the income I give her for house bills I will use it. So far things are looking like we may not have to dip into it but I won't count my chickens before they hatch. If I have to dip into our savings and cannot replenish that money within a couple months then it will be time to contemplate rather or not I need to move on. Only time will tell.

Bean Jr., Scooter Jones and popcorn169 Thank this.
  5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    That's tough, but not unusual in this industry.

Keeping trucks running down the road generating revenue consistently without major hiccups along the way is not easy for a one man dog and pony show.

Many ships have sunk traversing these seas.

I worked inside and witnessed first hand the owner bailing out lease operators on his fleet many times because they didn't have enough money to fix their trucks.

He was a nice guy, a nice guy who unfortunately, handed the rope to some of these guys to hang themselves with.

Good luck to you...

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. 338-Dark-Knights

338-Dark-Knights Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    .... just tooling around with the /Q/

SERIOUSLY - Thank you sir. A million miles, thank you DRIVER. It takes a real soul to be able to look up and face themselves in the mirror. -- -- --
    Yet, what amount of money is "a good amount"? A tow for $1,k +... how far; conditional expenses?

Something I've heard time in and time out, again, and, again, and, again....
    When you think you have it figured out, trucking happens.
    I really don't know if that helps, but it's funny/true.

The cold hard truth there, Driver. Anyone reading this for BETTERMENT of THEMSELVES is in one of two pathways. They have a team and/or home/network OR they're a lone wolf/Independent O/O. In either scenario, the finances will affect your demeanor. If you are balancing a home team and home, it becomes double the affect because you're drawn to both; often making sacrifices on your end because it's easier to control from a compartmentalization standing. The very backing (home/team) of your efforts has to provide support for this to work, and I've heard too many stories from the diner of how this often goes wrong. Also, A LOT of drivers mistake the team (company, broker, leasing agent, load board...) for having a interest in the driver and the truck. I'm not saying it doesn't happen... but, you, Driver, are ultimately the PILOT of your efforts. Check into things. Ask the tough questions. If your home / team is working it right, don't forget to acknowledge their efforts. It takes a village...

Crazytrucker77 Thanks this.
  7. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    Hey Crazy,

A couple of randumb thoughts;

1. What I did when I was leased on there was to have Cola set up an escrow account and take some $$ from each settlement. I always had money to pay for unexpected repairs (and expected ones). Over the years I also drew from it for other expenses, like making a payment to my lawyer when we were litigating my accident. When I left I was about $5K ahead and it made a nice little retirement bonus.

2. I thought one of the big features of the lease deal was that the whole truck was going to be under warranty right up until the end of the lease. Maybe you should tell Ken to either give you a new truck or buy a longer warranty.

3. I believe my late friend RD had the same problem with his truck there. He talked to the mechanic about exactly how to make the repair, bought the spare parts and carried them with him from then on. His tow bill was huge, from BF Utah to the nearest dealer in eastern Nevada if that makes you feel better. FWIW any truck I drive has a set of spare belts and fuel filters in it along with my general breakdown kit.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    51.50 and 338-Dark-Knights Thank this.
  8. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    I talked to Cola about using my escrow account for a repair awhile ago and was told their for use when the truck was turned in so I just let him take his usual amount out and I set up my own account for that. I keep a few minor things on the truck for precaution. After paying double the price twice to have a mud flaps replaced I keep one on the truck. That seems to be the most common thing to happen to me lol. This time I cut them a few inches shorter, but not to much so DOT cant get a bug up there but. A tow bill from Utah to Nevada ouch I feel sorry for that guy. Hopefully he got some help with that one.

9. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    What happens when you tell you dispatcher to run you ragged because you need to make some money. Well apparently around here they do just that lol. Been a long two weeks but worth it.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  10. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    I actually had a second escrow account for tires & various other things. IIRC my credit union couldn't manage a regular transfer to a savings account so I did it through Cola.

I used to ask Duane when things were going to pick up & complain that I wasn't getting any miles. Make sure you are all rested up before you do that, cuz you will be running afterwards. That was before elogs, when it was a different world.

The quality of dispatching/load planning there is one of the big benefits. Duane is a genius at what he does.I don't think I was over 8% deadhead for the 6. Years I was leased on.

Crazytrucker77 Thanks this.
  11. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    What a nice place to end a long day. That is Mount Shasta in Northern California in the background

Attached Files:

Redriderex, dwells40 and popcorn169 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.