My lease adventure

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Crazytrucker77, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Old_n_gray

Old_n_gray Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2016
    western pa
    I read your thread every time I get on the forum. Keep it up. Don't need it pinned I always look at it. By the way I am against lease purchase for the most part but I also know there are good programs out there. Burlington Motor carriers tried to get me to lease and JB Hunt did the same. Numbers did not add up. Glad you are making it work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crazytrucker77

Crazytrucker77 Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    Here are October's numbers. Had to replace all four of my tires for the trailer this month that is why the maintenance and repairs is so high. Still was able to make a small profit though and that's what matters.

Attached Files:

Bean Jr. and popcorn169 Thank this.
  4. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    Been there done that.Never again.Ill buy a truck strait out from now on.

Old_n_gray Thanks this.
  5. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    I got a theory. People are bored with numbers. Especially when the numbers don't add up to something spectacular, be it success OR failure. Could we make this like some reality TV show and manufacture some drama?

Or, there are a couple of people on here who could give you some pointers on how to massage those numbers enough to make them a lot more interesting.

Rugerfan and popcorn169 Thank this.
  6. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    Lol I get a kick out of you. What people have to realize is my numbers include paying my wage and taxes. Just that alone comes to 4917.40. the only reason my wage is so high right now is because I'm trying to get it to where I paid myself $40,000 for this year officially. Being an s corp I have to pay myself a reasonable wage and I figured $40,000 is a good starting point. Next year the profit will get significantly better because I'm not going to be paying myself almost $4,900 a month LOL. I'm sorry there's not a lot of drama on my thread. I'm not a big fan of drama and that's probably why LOL.

In all honesty most of my days are pretty routine. Get up and have some breakfast, get ready for the day, drive to my unload, unload the truck, drive to my reload, load the truck, strap everything down, and start heading to the next destination. Not a lot of opportunity for drama in that LOL.

These are the numbers that someone can expect when they work like me. I typically only work about 24 to 25 days a month and only run an area of about 800 MI on the average. Just back and forth between the Bay area and Seattle. Granted is someone wanted to work more days and run a lot farther distances they definitely could make more money than me. I love the way my setup is because it accomplishes my goals. I'm through home every other day and take a 34 at home every weekend. As well as taking a 3 to 4 day weekend once a month. I did my time running like there's no tomorrow and staying out weeks at a time. Now I can slow down and enjoy the fruit of my labor.

dwells40 and popcorn169 Thank this.
  7. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    Oh oh I forgot here's some drama for you that happened to me yesterday.

The place I deliver to after unloading me told me they didn't have the keys to the gate to open it so I could leave out that gate. Of course it was a couple Mexicans that don't speak English very well so communication was a problem. I asked him where is the person that can open the gate for me and his reply was my boss. I told him please go get him for me so he can open the gate. He just looked at me and walked off. After a few minutes of standing around and not seeing anybody coming towards me I started walking back to the building. I found this ####### standing around a soda machine with some of his buddies shooting the breeze. I walked up to him and he looked at me like a deer in the headlights and I said where is your boss. He quite literally walked over to some guy standing 10 ft away from him and told him about the gate. That person told me the boss is not even in the yard he is out and about in the city and I would have to turn my truck around and go out the gate I came in. That is all fine and dandy but this yard was extremely small and I had to practically jackknife my trailer to get turned around. And to add fuel to the fire there were nails all over the ground in this place and I just replaced all my freaking tires so of course that pissed me off too. on a lucky note I haven't seen any nails in my tires yet LOL. There's some drama for you

James j, dwells40 and popcorn169 Thank this.
  8. Crazytrucker77

Nov 23, 2014
    Grants Pass, OR
    I'm not purchasing my truck I'm just leasing it. Although my situation is not the best and ideal way to do things, it is a way to do it. I didn't have to be tied to several thousands of dollars of loans for equipment just to get my feet wet and try the owner up thing. My plan has always been to do it for 2 years to make sure I wanted to stick with it. If I wanted to stick with it then I would start saving up money to get my own equipment. I bought a trailer this year and hopefully next year I will either upgrade the trailer to a newer one or buy a truck . That is my plan and it worked for me.

I would hate for someone to be tied to loans in the thousands of dollar range adjust to try out being an owner operator then figuring out it's not for them and still having to deal with being tied to loans for your equipment. That just does not make sense to me.

Of course paying $1,000 a week just for a truck payment so you can lease purchase a truck through a carrier didn't make sense to me either. That is why I did the research and found a good opportunity that made sense for me. Everyone has different ambitions and ideas of what they feel is the best way to do things and it may not be another person feels is the way to do things. That is okay. Do what works for you.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  9. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Speaking of lease purchase, I just finished paying for my trailer!

BackwoodsGA Thanks this.
  10. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    Well, I found the @Farmerbob1 thread. I think there's enough drama there to supply us both lol!

Seriously, it's an interesting contrast between the two of you and you're right about the drama. You are with the most professionally managed trucking company I ever found and I bought my first truck in 1975. Duane don't book no drama. Any drama there you gotta create on your own.

In other news, Christmas came early this year-

New Truck.jpg

Along with a $1.50 per hour raise I get this. ISX-15, 525 HP, 1750 torque and a 13 speed, Flex Air and full gauges. When we the get the graphics and the extra chrome & lights on it I think I'll be rollin' large.

I'm curious if I know the place that wouldn't open the gate for you, was that a lumber yard in the Bay Area?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Rugerfan and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    DEF tank on the right side ... How do you deal with that?

Bean Jr. and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.