My life at SNI ... grc

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by grc56_tn, Feb 22, 2010.

1. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

You just learned something there. Next time you're setting up for a left, you'll remember what can happen. People just have no sense, or awareness of their surroundings. That's why most of us practice defensive driving to the nth degree. After awhile, at times, you'll know what a 4wheeler is going to do before he does. But there always can be a surprise or two, especially when they give you a break!!:biggrin_25525:

Keep up the good work, you WILL be fine. Thanks for the update!!:biggrin_25514::biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PCDoctor

PCDoctor Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Winston-Salem, NC
    What's even worse is when a tanker passes you on the left and then cuts in front of you to make the right turn. During Orientation in Charlotte, I was learning Schneider's "bump and run" technique of downshifting for a turn. Apparently, I was taking too long to get to the corner for the tanker behind me. I'm guessing he was pulling empty, otherwise the side surge would have toppled him. Sometimes I wonder if Valium would be in order just to get through a day of driving. ;)

4. johnday

Now you know that guy was important. I'd like to think he had a cell phone glued to his face as well,:biggrin_25513:
    Valium can be your friend, if not something better at times!!:biggrin_2559:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2010
  5. wildshad

wildshad Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Well another week done and it seems that I'm getting better at turning, keeping the back end from hitting the curb, but I'm still not too good at starting off on hills. I tend to stall the truck when I try to start out. At first it was beacause I was scared of letting the truck roll back down the hill and hit other vehicles. Now I know that I need to let the clutch out and let it ingage a little before letting off on the brake. Then when I do let off on the brake wait a second before letting the clutch out. I went from stalling the truck about 15 times practicing on Wednesday to about twice yesterday. Still not good enough I can't let the truck stall once to get my liscence. If I could get the shifting up and down and the hill problem figured out I will be fine. I have 7 more classes to do this in!!

It seems that everytime I go out also I tend to bring out the worse in other drivers. Again on Wednesday I was at a light, waiting to go straight, when the light turned green a pickup truck decided to turn right in front of me and cut me off. If I had been a little faster i would have hit him. Then yesterday I was making a sharp turn right onto a narrow road I saw a suv way back and had lots of time to turn. But the suv decided he wanted to make the light so sped up and when this happened I turned a little sharper to the right this brough me in of course quicker in but there were 2 poles that I ws trying to avoid. Because of this my trainer said stop. I did stalled the truck missed the poles by 6 inches and the suv by about an inch. I looked at the driver and he just backed up went around and kept going!!! I finally had room to go straight for a bit then make the corner without hitting anything. I asked the trainer if i had hit him who's fault would it have been HE SAID MINE BECAUSE I WAS TURNING.

I can't believe the crap that you guys go through everyday!! I have a better understanding and respect for what goes on out there.

Any advive on the shifting would be appreciated. :biggrin_25514:

Merlin1477024 and PCDoctor Thank this.
  6. johnday

You'll be fine! All that is a daily thing, most get used to it. You just need to practice, and relax, keep your head on a swivel. Everytime something comes up, you're learning. As much as some people like to think that they're naturals, they too make mistakes and learn. No one knows everything. Trick is, BE SAFE!!!:biggrin_25525:

wildshad Thanks this.
  7. seawolfe

seawolfe Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Merritt Island Florida
    My prayers for your wife and yourself. Stay positive God knows what he's doing

8. MSheets

MSheets Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Granite Falls,NC
    When I left them in '96 to team with my brother I was gone for a year. When I left US Xpress to go back I still got my awards credited, experience and same driver number just different hire date.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.