My new adventure with PTL

Discussion in 'PTL' started by DenaliDad, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    Good luck DD! I am sure you will be happier back in vans. Those skate boards are nice but they are for the younger crowd. We O.G.'s don't heal up as fast as we used to!

DenaliDad and teamkelly Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerWife630

TruckerWife630 Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Alabama
    Looking forward to following you here, too! Much luck!

4. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I see you couldn't kick the bad habit yet and you are back for more. :) Good luck with the new company and things work out better.

5. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    I'm sure you'll have the same avid readers you had at WE. Hope everything works out for you at Praise The Lord even though it's not flatbedding.:biggrin_2559: There is a thread I think in John Cristner about the Freightliner EVO good reading. The author was duly impressed.

6. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    Congrats for making the move, DD. I was an avid follower of your WE thread and was rooting for you just because you seem to be a good guy who got shafted by a series of events in the past.

I hope you do well at PTL.

7. carramrod32

carramrod32 Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Midwest
    Subscribed, best of luck to you. No more flats and an apu. Not bad.

8. 77smartin

77smartin Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2011
    I dunno.
    Best of luck DD...don't get stuck in the mud at the Indy yard of theirs!

9. rexmanno

rexmanno Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2013
    DD, good to see that you are going forward and bettering your self, hopefully now you will make the progress that you had hoped for, Best of luck to you !!!

10. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

If you're young with good balance, flatbedding would be great. Even if you're out of shape, the exercise is super. Heck in 3 months, I went from a size 40 waist to the shorts I'm wearing as I write this, size 32! But I'm 67 and it is definitely not an old man's job. I no longer have the muscle mass to develop (you will lose yours starting about 50, too) and fell off the bed twice. Fortunately, I didn't get seriously hurt either time (I still remember how to fall from my karate training early in life the first fall and there was a bunched up tarp the second time) but I also recognized the risk of serious injury is always there.

And this is the "good weather" time of year. I didn't want to find out what doing tarps in snow and ice was like...!

TruckerWife630 Thanks this.
  11. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

I seriously considered Prime and, honestly, I can't remember why I didn't go there in the beginning. I still think their training program is superb and so is their equipment; I just made another choice.

As to the 'career progression' thing, that's the secret. This isn't and never was a career for me. I had one in aviation, 45 years of it, the first part as a professional pilot (anyone remember Piedmont Airlines?) ending with 27 years working in the regulatory and compliance division of the FAA ( you think the FMCSR is complicated? Hah! Compared to aviation regulations, they're simple...and logical!) This was a 'bucket list' item for me and when I've checked the box, I'll be done.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.