My new adventure with PTL

Discussion in 'PTL' started by DenaliDad, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Good luck DD! Happy you finally got back to doing what makes you happy. Sorry flatbedding didn't workout for you. But to each his own. Don't know anything about PTL but I have no doubt they will be better than WE. good luck.

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

And finally for today, a thought about APUs.

That marvelous piece of equipment is the reason I came to this company. I hate idling with a passion and refuse to idle just to be comfortable. I've worked for three companies that had APU's installed (WEL, Gordon, and PTL) and I have discovered a pattern.

Every truck I am originally assigned has an APU that does not work properly. And the company has a difficult time getting me to a facility to fix the darned thing. This one turns on normally and runs for 3-4 minutes then quits. The only fault message is 'ALT' and fault light. The machine also doesn't make the normal high-pitched sound prior to starting; it just starts. And the belt inside is loose and makes a LOT of noise. If it was the fan belt in my pickup, I would change it.

I wonder if there's an underlying message...?

4. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    DD there should be a reset button on the APU unit itself.. press that and it should get rid of the ALT code. had that happen a lot when I was a system.

5. DenaliDad

I think it's a bigger problem. It's not charging the battery and the fault disappears every time I turn it off. It's a very old machine and I bet there are many issues with it. No matter. It's got to be fixed.

6. rda2580

rda2580 Heavy Load Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Lower Michigan
    Good luck DD looks like you can make money on the weekends again vs sitting.

7. DenaliDad

That's for sure. I'm only glad the two falls I had off the flatbed did not result in any serious injury...they easily could have. The risk of injury is the basic reason why I left.

Bumper Thanks this.
  8. ampm wayne

ampm wayne Heavy Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    bloomington,in
    Best of luck to you. I wish you well. I am glad you found a dry van job.

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  9. Jrdude5

Jrdude5 Heavy Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    New York, NY
    Subscribed glad to see you take the leap DD got my start there they will put you in a new truck soon best of luck.

10. Big Ugly

Big Ugly Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2014
    North Carolina
    Those old TriPacs are being shipped out as fast as the Prostars like the one you are driving. You've seen them wrapped up on the pallets waiting to be shipped out in Murray? Now you know why. They've been a continuous maintenance issue. They work great for about 8-9 months then it's one problem after the next. All trucks in series numbers 16600 or above for Internationals & 19600 or above for Freightliners have Electric Power Units, or EPUs for short, that run off batteries. Much quieter & nicer. They take some practice to get the best settings for making the batteries last more 9-10 hours but you get the hang of it.

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  11. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    poor mechanics is the trouble with tripacs
    you try the epu in Laredo overnite in Feb
    or Vegas in July just expensive junk not for driver comfort
    tripacs charge truck batteries keep the engine warm anything else is a ford focus or less

tsavory, tow614, joseph1135 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.