My new career with Superior Carriers begins!

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by rubberducky68, Jun 18, 2012.

1. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Thanks for the info. Should be hitting the road in the next few days. The system guy I will be going out with is a really good trainer from what I have been told. I have no complaints so far.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Best wishes for your success Five O. You will be happy there I am positive.

4. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Went and grabbed an empty this morning and took it over to a local place. Got loaded with some hazmat so I got some training on that. Hauled it back to the yard and dropped it for a system driver. Spent the rest of the time reading through the drivers handbook.

Question for you Superior Drivers. I read that the passport is supposed to be reimbursed but the Operations Manager said no because I was an entry level driver, the policy is that I had to have it before he could bring me on. It does not state that at all in the driver handbook. It just says new hires are required to get it within 60 days of being hired and the company is to reimburse that. It kind of ticked me off but I let it go. I think one of the dispatchers may go to bat for me over it because they agreed that I should get reimbursed. So will will see.

Heading out to Dalton in the a.m. to get preloaded. May run an empty to Winder when we get back. We shall see.

5. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    Wait until they dispatch you to Canada and tell him since you paid for it then its for personal use only and that you won't go unless they reimburse you for it.

One of Superiors strengths is also one of its weaknesses. Its a fairly large company with 600+ trucks but is managed at the local terminal level. That gives the company more of a small company feel. Your TM makes decisions on layover pay, hotel reimbursements etc and not all terminals pay the same or allow the same things.

6. slomocopshow

slomocopshow <b>MS GA RED</b>

Apr 25, 2012
    Ducky,

Regardless of what Superior does it's just good business and good looking out for yourself to get the passport now instead of waiting. I know that starting any new position comes with unexpected expenses that may stretch the old leather wallet more than it wants to be stretched, but having this in hand asap will only help you in the end. If Superior does reimburse then just save the receipt for that expense report. If not, you still have your passport, which will get you more work.

BTW, I looked like a terrorist in my passport photo! It was so bad I wondered how they even let me back into the country based on that pic, it was so bad! :biggrin_2554:

Ellie

rubberducky68 Thanks this.
  7. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    That's actually a good idea. But being new I am not going to push the issue. I was told up front I needed it before the tm could bring me on so it's not like I didn't know. They will be making up for it when they pay for my hotel rooms during training so I figure it is a wash :)

8. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Quick update. Grabbed an empty from Morrow terminal Friday and ran up to Dalton to pick up a load. Appt. time was for 11am but they did not get started loading us until almost 1pm. Really thick liquid so it took a while to get loaded, 3 hours. Headed back to Morrow at 4pm and did not get there to drop the tank until 6pm. I had to be back this morning for a quarterly safety meeting so the terminal manager offered to put me in a hotel last night. Who am I to say no?! Thought that was cool of him. I was also issued my Com-Data card. I know this may sound stupid, but that made me feel good, like I am becoming part of the team. Just a heads up for any entry level drivers thinking about coming on to Superior you are being graded during training so be on your best behavior and watch your appearance as well. They look at all of that.

Safety meeting was good. We were fed Chick-Fila biscuits, danishes, mini muffins, fruit (which was really good!), orange juice, apple juice, and coffee. Decent little spread. Now on to the important stuff. They covered how to prevent different types of crashes. Rear ends, roll overs, side swipes (when cars are in your blind spot), and run unders. I got a lot of great information out of it. Most of the drivers from the terminal were there so I got to meet a few more co-workers. All in all it was good.

My OTR trainer has a doctor appt. Monday so I will just be running local again on Monday then hit the road Tuesday. Working on getting my stuff together this weekend so it will be ready to go. I don't have a lap top so I will update as soon as I can next time.

Be safe out there everyone.

Twicebit Thanks this.
  9. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    It actually may be coming from above your TM's head. When I was training it was during the holidays. Christmas week I only worked 3 days and expected a $300 check instead of the 500 a week they pay for training. I was surprised to see over $600. TM had turned in holiday pay for me. He had to come back a week later and tell me they were going to deduct it from my next check because I wasn't supposed to get it. The fact that your TM let you get a hotel room for a safety meeting tells me the passport decision is coming from a bean counter in Oak Brook.

10. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    That stinks about getting the pay taken back from you. At least your tm tried to get it for you. The tm in Morrow is fairly new and seems to be really budget conscientious. Can't fault him for that but it the drivers handbook says otherwise. What can you do though. I am new so I have no room to dispute it right now. What is kind of funny though is it is only $150 we are talking about and it's not like SC has a revolving door with hundreds of new drivers coming and going every week. So it's not like they are paying for passports constantly and then losing that money with high driver turnover. Anyway, that's my take on it. I am sure the bean counter looks at it differently if he is indeed involved.

11. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I've heard there have been some new protocols and procedures implemented with new entry level hires. Maybe that is part of it.

One a side note, everyone should probably spring for both the book and card, or at least the book. I recently had to send my passport card off to the bureaucratic abyss to get a book for a trip later this summer. So far I've been tooling about the system for a month with no passport. I'm surprised every load I get isn't a Canadian one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.