My new experience with Gordon Trucking, post-buyout

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by DenaliDad, Jan 11, 2014.

1. softail

softail Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2012
    The Great Pacific NW
    Thanks for starting this. As someone who is interested in GTI, I know it will be filled with a lot of good information by everyone already at GTI/Heartland. Good luck DD.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Hahaha... you already have a nickname. .."DD"

I like it.....:pottytrain3:

4. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

It's easier to write than DenaliDad! And, of course, I keep my James name quiet.

oops

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  5. DenaliDad

Right now, I'm sitting in class during an extended break. Two drivers are out getting their road test and it seems the others are sharing raunchy stories and inappropriate jokes...after we've heard from HR about harassment and inappropriate behavior in the workplace. Drivers can be jerks, can't we?

We also learned there aren't enough unassigned trucks here at the Indy drop lot so some of us might be flown out to The Mother Ship in in Pacific to pick up our trucks. We will learn if and who on Thursday. That wouldn't be bad for me; it would get me out of the Midwest for my initial dispatch but I wouldn't have a fully equipped truck.

We'll see.

6. "Hang - Man"

"Hang - Man" Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Western PA
    Denalidad are you a student ? i am confused you are mentioning GTI assigning you a tractor already, do you not have to go out with a trainer? And the trucks you already drove --do you mean in school ?

7. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Very good, thoughtful start, Denali!

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  8. DenaliDad

[QUOTE="Hang - Man";3780214]Denalidad are you a student ? i am confused you are mentioning GTI assigning you a tractor already, do you not have to go out with a trainer? And the trucks you already drove --do you mean in school ?[/QUOTE] I am not a student in the normal sense. I am an experienced driver; I maintain "Student" as my status because I am always learning. When I know it all, I'll change.

truckinmike1984 and chowick1966 Thank this.
  9. "Hang - Man"

"Hang - Man" Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Western PA
    OK thanks, so you are really just going through 4 days of orientation -then in your company assigned truck and out on the road.
    Just a heads up, everyone may be reading this thread from wannabees to old timers - The wannabees and newbies may sign on with GTI and wonder why they didnt get a truck in 4 days like DenaliDad did LOL --it be kinda funny to see them in the terminal demanding their trucks.

10. DenaliDad

[QUOTE="Hang - Man";3780337]OK thanks, so you are really just going through 4 days of orientation -then in your company assigned truck and out on the road.
    Just a heads up, everyone may be reading this thread from wannabees to old timers - The wannabees and newbies may sign on with GTI and wonder why they didnt get a truck in 4 days like DenaliDad did LOL --it be kinda funny to see them in the terminal demanding their trucks.[/QUOTE] Yes, I am attending orientation, which lasts Monday through Thursday. Normally, truck assignment happens on Thursday and first dispatch happens on Friday. After that, I will be in the system. Because of the lack of trucks this week, I might be flying somewhere to pick one up. I will learn that on Thursday.

I can't speak to how new, student drivers are handled; there are none in this class. You won't be surprised in the terminal. Your recruiter will cover all of that with you long before you get a class date.

"Hang - Man" Thanks this.
  11. DenaliDad

Today was mostly about health benefits, harassment, paperwork, and road test. I've declined their health benefits because I'm already covered, and passed the road test.

That part was taken in an assigned 2011 Cascadia and I LIKE it. A. LOT! If I get something like it, I will be a happy camper. Unlike the previous Freightliners I've been assigned, it's quiet, smooth, and tight. We shift at 1400 RPM, which will be different for me. According to the driver who rode with me, the company uses low speed transmissions to slow the drivers' actions down. It worked for me, even after 10 minutes. And the area behind the driver? Absolutely huge in comparison with what I've been assigned in the past.

I'm looking forward to my time with GTI.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    tow614 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.