My new experience with Gordon Trucking, post-buyout

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by DenaliDad, Jan 11, 2014.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

There's always uncertainty in a merger. As the process accelerates in this one, the old timers are going to feel the pinch of the differences. Some will like it, many will not. And some, like those you mention, are wrestling with the details and trying to come to a decision...should I stay or should I go?

Fortunately for everyone, this is a good time to switch jobs in the trucking business. The problem is deciding IF, WHEN, and WHERE.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I spent over 8 years working for a coal mine in eastern kentucky. The old timers always said "when you see the rats leaving you better follow." They know whats coming and it aint good.
    When the sellout not merger took place us rats had sense enough to leave...
    the rest of the story you know

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  4. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    TOW and I said it the day of the merger right here. Things were about to change for the worse. We had the mindset to get the hell out early. And all those who said we didn't know what we were talking about, except of course the GTI buttsniffers know we were right now.

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  5. Stew209

Stew209 Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    Even though we are not allowed to chain, I will still chain up in the northwest because no way in hell am I going to park the truck while going over Cabbage, or Snoqualmie or any other of the passes in that area.

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  6. Stew209

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    Those red trucks are team truck only.

7. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Well I'll say this...if they bought them for assets,then why are they getting rid of equipment in rapid fashion..also they are getting rid of contracts of freight at a rapid fashion too..it sounds like heartland is run by idiots....

8. DenaliDad

I feel bad for the Gordon employees, drivers and non-drivers. Gordon used to be a grand company with a very different corporate mindset than Heartless. Soon, all that will just be memories and the employees will have moved on.

9. Stew209

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    Gordon is about to lose a major contract with Georgia Pacific. The Gordon yard in Millersburg just south of Salem, Oregon has drivers there who only do GP and the GP plant is just down the road and if they lose that contract there will be no point in keeping that terminal as the majority of the freight in and out of that yard is Georgia Pacific.

I was there talking to one of the drivers who does that account and he along with many other guys who have been with Gordon for a long time are just planning to retire early instead of finding something new. Heartless Express is running Gordon into the ground with no sign of stopping.

10. DenaliDad

I never met any of the Gordon family and only know about them what I learned in orientation, but I cannot for the life of me think this transition sits well with them; yes, they made a ton of money, but they also put 50 years of sweat and energy into it. I can't imagine they could just turn their backs and say, 'Oh, well. We sold so it's out of out hands.'

But as I said, I don't know them...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  11. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    There is always a reason....

remember.. at the time of the sale gti was 200 million dollars in debt...

plus the gordons have their hands in other trucking companies and dont be surprised to see one of those companies get all those contracts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.