""My Own Truck"" ?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by Kellygx1, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Kellygx1

Kellygx1 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2017
    (Sorry, the post got to be quite long)
    For several years I've been lurking about, reading posts, comparing advice given about all kinds of things, (best oil to use, tire brand reviews, opinions on e logs, rants, different views on 'the correct way' to do this and that', etc..)
    A lot if them helped, a lot were just funny, some were informative, and quite a few seemed to have been written by folks in a perpetual bad mood with nothing positive to say or add on every sort of subject.
    This subject of leasing is by far the most controversial it seems.

So, I became a member just so that I could post my 2 cents worth. Hope you think it's worth at least that.
    I first started as a co-driver with an Owner Operator who had an older long nose, decked out with lights and chrome and wood. He was very particular about how his truck was driven and maintained, and I learned quite a bit from his O/O perspective.
    I team drove as a company driver with a guy who had been there, done that. It was a smaller company as I don't like the offerings of the mega carriers. I Learned more. Soon, they offered me my own truck (at crap per mile pay)
    Company driver at an increased rate over the years, mostly reefer, or flatbed, but found myself quite often trying to figure out how to get into 'my own truck'.
    Throughout the years I saw a lot of drivers in a lot of trucks that I knew weren't company trucks, and wondered how they came to be in them. So, what the hell, I started asking them.
    Over time I found a few that sounded like do-able propositions, and looked into them further. Never big companies though, so I can't really shed light on their deals.
    I finally got on with a small company, (took almost a year), that has something like a lease deal, but not exactly a lease deal. Here's the basics of it:
    I get 85 percent of the load
    $300 goes into my maintenance fund for tires, oil changes, repairs, and the like. Capped at $5000
    I pay my own fuel, they supply a card.
    Insurance, finance charges, IFTA, plates, etc are all included in my payments or the admin fees which also include keeping me loaded and all the back office stuff.
    Fairly straightforward. Example: If I do 3 loads this week, and they pay $1700 each. That's $5100 total
    85 percent is $4255
    -$1140 truck, trailer, etc
    -$300 maintenance
    - about $1250 fuel (your mileage may vary )
    This all leaves me about $1500/wk
    I have an accountant.. I don't 'write things off'
    I expense them.. since they are expenses
    And I keep track of them
    Obviously this is just an example of a medium week
    Loads and rates and fuel costs change, but I usually do better than this example.. I think some don't do quite as well, some maybe a bit better
    I don't really know the other drivers too well, none of us have time to sit around a campfire roasting marshmallows and telling stories.
    There are only 10 or 12 of us here, and the owner, who drives too, says he's not really looking to expand.
    I do know that Dan, who drives a green Coronado glider, Is on his second truck.. but I'm sure that means he built enough equity in his first truck to get the Coronado and probably take some cash out as well.
    It's not really 'my own truck'.. or is it?
    Would I want to pay it off and go it alone?..
    Get my own MC number? Authority? Find my own loads? invoice or factor the BOLs? Do my own back office things? Nope.
    Some people would.. that's their prerogative
    This is a good fit right now.... For Me.
    When this truck gets to half a million miles or so, I'll trade it in on a new one..
    Just sayin.. if you look around hard enough you can find something that fits whatever YOU want.
    But there's a lot of work to be put in to make it work. And remember, if you burn up a hub in the middle of nowhere some night under load..... Handle it!.. you wanted your own truck remember?
    Questions?
    Comments? (All you guys named Richard.. cause there's always comments from a bunch of Dicks)
    Be safe

PS. I got paid this morning for last week.. just magically appeared in my checking account..
    Just over $2000
    Last Friday? Just over $3000
    The week before?... Negative $129. Oops!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    A simple question, how many miles are you running a year to make this work?

4. Kellygx1

Kellygx1 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2017
    A year?
    I would estimate 145k

5. nax

nax Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2016
    @Kellygx1 ...I have 1 word for you.....Congratulations.

ok...maybe a few more...

I'm a lot like you...though not a "lurker".

I got a CDL and its marinating in my backpocket as I continue to research, learn and understand the myriad issues related to trucking.

To me, getting the CDL was the easy part.

So far, I have uncovered a lot that I believe will help become a better Owner (not necessarily O/O). These issues range from truck financing, regulations (logs/weight/IFTA etc), load sources, mechanicals & maintenance...and the list goes on.

Some may snort their noses at my approach, but guess what...failure to plan, is a planning to fail.

I already know advanced log regulations, by reading and doing actual runs with my existing O/O friends...I believe that IF I can understand the # 1 issue that gets trivialized by drivers, and ends up screwing most in the game (logs), then its one less challenge when a good % of drivers fall off when E-logs kicks in in Dec 2017.

I even know how to edit E-logs (legally) so well, that my O/O friends are now calling me to teach them how to work them.

I say keep at it (IGNORE THE NAYSAYERS...theres plenty Richards around)...and work the game to your advantage.

Good Luck

Kellygx1 Thanks this.
  6. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    145 that is nothing good to talk about hell I did that at dart lol

7. Bigrayon

Bigrayon Road Train Member

Aug 16, 2015
    When your hope is to get guys to come work for you try a little better maybe put an the used car sale speech lol not try again

8. Kellygx1

Kellygx1 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Not looking for anyone to come work here. Or get into a whose dic..(oops) whose check is bigger contest. Only pointing out that the are more options than straight lease or bank finance.

9. Kellygx1

Kellygx1 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2017
    If you were thinking that this was referring to money you should read the posts before you reply

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Yes there are some folks that seem to always be in a bad mood just a piece of advice keep it short and too the point 1- 3 sentences and you may find you'll have nicer responses.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.