My Prime INC Experience. (A Running Log)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by JimmyBones, Mar 4, 2013.

1. TooGroovy

TooGroovy Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2011
    igetaround
    It is a minimum you can make more if you are up to the task...
    Please
    Remember
    I
    Mortgaged
    Everything. ..send some cash

Ramadam Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    i thought this, just wanted clarification. So hypothetically speaking, if he finished his 15000 miles, then put in a two weeks notice to leave prime, am i to understand nothing bad/negative goes on his record/dac/etc?

4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I have no idea what they'd do. Sounds like a pretty cheap scam to get some tanker training though.

5. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Scam? care to elaborate?

I asked what the price of a refresher is.... if that "price" is Im obligated to go out with another driver for 15000 miles (or 50000 miles for that matter)@ $0.41/mile and i fulfill my obligation, how is that a scam? (not trying to be an azzhole, just asking)

If there's something wrong with my thinking plz correct me.

and just an FYI, im 36yo, and have had 2 jobs my whole life (one 14 years, one 5 years)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Baxley, GA
    I am an employee officially, never a Prime student. My 'refresher' is just a Prime trainer making sure I know how to drive before solo.

Also guys, please keep the disparaging remarks and sarcasm down. This is meant to be a positive, helpful, and informative thread.

More to come.

PChase, hal380, Time4Change and 14 others Thank this.
  7. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Thank you jimmybones, look forward to your updates

8. Ubu

Ubu Road Train Member

Aug 25, 2012
    Rumored to be somewhere
    He didn’t say it was $0.41/mile for 15000 miles. He said it was $600 per week until the 15000 miles was up and then $0.41/mile when solo.

superpet39, Boy Howdey and Rocket1949 Thank this.
  9. superpet39

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    True true.................. What i meant was: If my "obligation" was- work for $600/wk until my 15000 miles is up, and I fulfill that obligation- Then how is it a scam, if I decide to move on (provided i give 2 weeks notice of course)

Apologies to JimmyBones for what looks like a hiacking of his thread, but this is "loosely" related to his topic.

hal380 Thanks this.
  10. quetzalcoatl

quetzalcoatl Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2013
    San Francisco CA
    JB, if they let you make photos of the lightweight truck, I'd sure like to see that...inside and out.

hal380 Thanks this.
  11. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Baxley, GA
    I'll do the photos when I can, but after looking in one, I am going to have to make a bit of an adjustment. The 2014 models, however, according to the head of the shops around here, are quite a bit bigger. Somewhere between LW and condo, and they hit the fleet in a couple weeks.

Anyhow, riding the refresher miles, then leaving, would do you zero good, really. No company would consider that legit recent OTR experience, and you'd just have to do the same thing at whatever carrier you went to afterwards.

On top of that, Prime's training pay is higher than most other large carriers.

Now, today's classes were pretty long, but aside from the dull subject matter, the classes were pretty entertaining. The instructors, most of whom are division or office heads, are really friendly and legitimately funny folk.

Today's classes were basically QC, insurance, safety, on the road maintenance, and a couple other basic things.

It should be noted that after all I have heard today, I am even more impressed with Prime. B seats and above are eligible for the same pays and bonuses as an A seat. You get paid for minor maintenance (or other that you are certified to do yourself), for example, replacing a mudflap nets you $25, with the company paying for all necessary supplies. This gets you extra money, saves them hundreds, and gets you back on the road faster.

They also pay for clean DOT, and a few other things. The pay policy for FMs was described to us, which was designed to promote dispatch wanting to help and hating to lose drivers, and prevents forced dispatch situations, or at least lessens the feeling that they're out to use you up and discard you. They get salary, with a bonus based on your mileage, not deliveries. Also, if a driver quits, or requests a different FM due to personal or professional differences, they take a $300 hit on that week's pay.

Safety made it clear that we are the ones who decide if we can safely go, and while we cannot choose destinations, we are the captains of the ship, and safety will always take the driver's side on issues of safety or time constraints or feasibility of travel.

Also, line 5 is allowed, within reason, and within the scope of the law.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.