My questions to current ELD users.

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by mhyn, Aug 23, 2017.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Questions
    1. Is there any ELD that will not trigger driving mode if truck will travel 2.5-3 miles?
    2. I've heard that office guys can edit logs(drive time). is it true? if yes what brand of ELD you are using.
    3. Who is using VDO Roadlog ? any printer related problems when it's hot in cab? reviews please.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It is my understanding they all can be configured by the carrier admin however they want them to be configured [within limits] even if it may go against "published rules". How/when they "commit to disk" is all different for each device. Just because a device may indicate it's in Drive status does not necessarily mean this can not be rolled back if certain actions are takes before certain other limits are reached.

As for drive time, I suspect the admin can do anything they choose to however the ECM logs miles actually in movement. If the ECM says you drove 750 miles in a day but the drive time is somehow edited down to 8 hours for that day, something is not going to look right in an audit.

mhyn Thanks this.
  4. bowhunter67

bowhunter67 Light Load Member

May 28, 2016
    rush city mn
    from what I understand even as an admin they will not be able to edit drive time.

Friend Thanks this.
  5. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    the mandate says 5mph will trigger drive mode. ok but how about gps . it will not trigger drive mode if somehow truck has changed location and odometer's number has not been changed. lets say tow truck moved the truck 10 miles away..lol
    I know there are guys here who know how to handle situations :) please if you don't want to write here may be you can pm me. ;-)

6. bowhunter67

May 28, 2016
    rush city mn
    you could use yard move or pc to do the move also at least i can on the vdo roadlog without using drive time.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    For ELD's (NOT aobr/eobr's) mandated the be in a truck in December.
    1. That's written in the regs. No way around it.
    2. An admin can edit anything, including drive time. There is, however, a record kept of the original times that cannot be edited. An audit will show all edits and need to be explained to the auditor.
    Now the thing is, even then the office cannot make drive time go away. It happened, so it must be accounted for. Either by explaining it via annotation or by unassiging it, and even then it must be explained.
    3. Can't help with that one, sorry.

Here is a FAQ for ELD's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - ELD Rule

mhyn Thanks this.
  8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    yard move will break you sleeper time. useless option. pc ? have you ever inspected by AZ or CA dot? try to explain them why you use PC driving ....they will write and suggest to explain it in front of judge. BTW this kind of tickets starts there from $1500..

9. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Wonder if you can use the ferry fumction?. Qualcom i used with swift had this feature.

10. bowhunter67

May 28, 2016
    rush city mn
    It depends if you are under dispatch or under load then you cannot use pc otherwise you can.

11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    The ELD's cannot use GPS to determine if the truck has moved. So a function like that would be useless for the new regs.

mhyn and bowhunter67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.