My recaps

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by WREN, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Rising & setting of the sun & moon explains the roundness.

Cabinover101 and PE_T Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I met a real flat earther last year. My buddy has a place up north and his neighbor - who was a very successful lawyer before retirement- believes the earth is flat. It was a very surreal conversation given that we were sitting on the shore watching a cargo ship drop below the horizon.

Cabinover101, PE_T and Tx Countryboy Thank this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I guess it’s my turn now to explain how we know the earth is certainly not flat.

1. The observation of the planets and moons around us should be a good educated guess that our own planet is round as well. It’s important to note that all our planets and moons are round and not flat.
    2. The existence of time zones is best explained if our planet is round. If our planet is flat, why have different time zones, especially times zones that are off by 12 hours? If our planet were flat, we’d expect sunrise and sunset to occur at approximately the same time everywhere on earth and not be off by several hours. For example, when it’s sunrise in Los Angeles, it is sunset somewhere else on this planet. This would make no sense if the earth were flat.

5. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    The moon landings provide examples of NASA fakery. If I lie to you, should you ever trust me again?

Water is the largest example of a flat Earth. Water outside of a container always finds its level. Water does not bend, bulge, or curve when left to lie motionless.

A globe Earth would necessarily require water to curve along with it. But we do not see that with our own eyes. What we do see is an ocean of water proving a level horizon with no curvature.

The globe Earther then reasons that at the edge of vision lies the curvature since the Earth is curving downwards.
    The globe believers will also add that ships going over the horizon and beyond sight is proof of curvature.

It is not.

A ship "going over the horizon" can be brought back into view with a zoom camera, binoculars, or telescope.

What is actually occurring is a limitation of our own vision, not the Earth's curvature. There are many video examples of this online.

Also, a globe Earth would necessarily have an omnidirectional curve making a level horizon impossible.

For a ship to go over the horizon as globe believers describe, the Earth would need to be shaped like a tube.

6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It goes to show that having expertise in one area does not translate to expertise in others. No matter how smart we think we are, we should always seek the experts within their field if we have questions that relate to their field.

7. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    Do you lie awake at night thinking about this???.

PE_T and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    It is an assumption that because the planets (I believe there are no planets, but rather anomalous stars) and moon appear to be spherical, that the Earth must be as well. This is not science.

I'll find a reasonable example of how the sun works on a flat Earth model momentarily.

9. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    I guess the moon is flat too.

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    I've seen the moon through a telescope too. Looks round to me.

Cabinover101 and PE_T Thank this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Gravity in the planet explains how it is possible for not just water, but everything else like sand to remain in place. Our moon doesn’t fall apart due to gravity. The moon isn’t dusting off or dropping pieces of itself because gravity holds it in place.

By the way, there is no such thing as up or down when you are in space. Just look at the moon. Where is up? For us, up means anything in the opposite direction of gravitational force.

Finally, water does curve due to gravity and the shape of our planet. This already has been put to the test by several people using a powerful laser and a boat sailing far away from mainland. As the boat goes farther, the laser moves up. This can even be done on a lake or any other large body of water.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.