My return to LTL... with SAIA

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Jun 25, 2020.

1. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Thank you! I’m excited to get back into the LTL chaos.

Texas_hwy_287 and USMC 3531 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I am in the Northeast. My starting rate is over $30/hr, but I’m still one step below top rate. I misunderstood the TMs explanation of the process but in December I’ll be at top rate just below $32/hr.

Texas_hwy_287, ltzSupra and USMC 3531 Thank this.
  4. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Cool, that means their linehaul rate is in the 70s cpm back there then?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Not sure, I haven't even discussed linehaul with the company except for picking up extra runs on the weekend, I figure the runs are worth at least .65-68cpm.

Texas_hwy_287, USMC 3531 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don’t know about Saia, at least not the terminal you’re hiring into, but here those runs are absolutely fought over. Some guys have even been known to come in and steal them.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    From what the TM tells me, it's like pulling teeth for him to get volunteers for weekend line runs. The guy that did my road test tells me the majority of the city board at my location isn't interested whatsoever in running on the weekend, and if they do, they want to do swaps etc. and not run line.

Who knows what it'll actually be. All I know is that I already have a driver coming in behind me so I'm not starting out on the bottom.

Texas_hwy_287, USMC 3531 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  8. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    They probably are, if my pay rate is .6850/$27.20, and they are telling you that you are starting at $30hr then most likely the cpm rate is higher there also, I am assuming though.

Texas_hwy_287 and McUzi Thank this.
  9. ltzSupra

ltzSupra Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2011
    That's some serious coin in my book! Thanks for the info, will definitely try to get my foot in the door.

Texas_hwy_287 and McUzi Thank this.
  10. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Well, today was not a good day. It was, but it wasn't. My last day running a chemical/gas tank was today.

I had a measly 5 stop little route, finished it in 4 hours. One of the other drivers always gave me crap for hammering out my route quickly and then going to the office for the rest of my day. I just could never figure that it was better to be out on the road vs. at the office with a kitchen and tv if I was going to make the same amount of pay.

Either way, got back to the office in short order and saw the district manager's pickup in the parking lot. The rest of the day was spent bsing about things, razzing each other and other conversation that was not likely to be smiled upon by HR. It was one of those times where I wished I could have rescinded my notice and stayed, just because of my boss and the DM being so awesome to work work.

But, c'est la vie as they say. Off to new adventures back in the LTL world.

On to Saia at 0730 on Monday morning. Excited and nervous at the same time as anyone new to a company would be.

I did however discover a nice bonus/perk/whatever you want to call it. Having done my onboarding stuff the other weekend, I found the uniform ordering system while cruising around the employee website and ordered my uniforms. What I did NOT know, is that 7/1 also brought in a new uniform spending allowance, so I get to double dip on uniform money.

11. LPjunior1970

LPjunior1970 Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2019
    Nice job on the cintas cash! Those insulated sweatshirts are really nice. The ones with the zipper not the pullover.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.