My Superior Journey Begins

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Mortarmaggot, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Mortarmaggot

Mortarmaggot Heavy Load Member

Apr 13, 2017
    After a couple of days behind the wheel, I am headed out Sunday with a system trainer. Currently it's a scheduled 13 day out. Guess I'm making good progress. I haven't a single complaint about the training.

scythe08 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Speed_Drums

Speed_Drums Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2014
    How is the ride on those Macks? Rough or smooth?
    When you get your assigned truck will they let you choose between a Mack or a Pete?

4. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017

I'm so new that I couldn't provide a judgement between vehicles. The fleet is being upgraded to automatics. I'll be assigned a hand me down Mack or Pete. We've got 10 new automatics coming into our terminal in the next couple of weeks.

I love the Mack I've been training in compared to the Freightliner I used in school. Ride is good and it shifts easy. Not sure if that helps.

Lonesome, scythe08 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  5. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    There are buying 4 Macks for every Pete so you probably won't get to choose one. Trainers seem to get them before others but it seems to mostly be luck of the draw. The Petes are much nicer. Very few would drive Macks if we had a choice.

scythe08 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  6. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Day 1 out in the system. Halfway between Wilmington and Memphis. Superior puts us in a hotel. It's the Quality Inn tonight.

My new trainer is Billy. A good ole boy and smooth on the shift. Learned a bit more, and some different ways. Look forward to the next.....about 2 weeks.

scythe08, Smut and wsyrob Thank this.
  7. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Day 2 out. Made it to within a 20 mile drive of our drop scheduled for tomorrow at 0800. A lot of time to kill due to a clear sky and light traffic today.

Got about 15 hours until we pull out to do the pump off. The facility does the work at this location. Hopefully we get a good load headed out of Memphis.

I was told there may be a load or two headed toward Fayetteville. That might work to have a meal with the family.

scythe08 and Smut Thank this.
  8. Xeres63

Xeres63 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Keep me updated Mortarmaggot, I spoke with the recruiter last week and Jack wasn't in the office and I spoke at length with another gentleman. Still mulling Superior over. Sounds like an excellent company. Good luck and stay safe, as I'm sure you've already learned there are some idiots out there on the highway.

scythe08 and Mortarmaggot Thank this.
  9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Good luck to ya!

Mortarmaggot Thanks this.
  10. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Since we did the off load in Memphis, we Ran to Rapid City, IA and picked up liquid starch. I drove up. Billy is driving down. We're in Bowling Green, Misouri for the night. We'll get the Grenada, Mississippi tomorrow and stage for delivery the next morning.

After that we'll have Memphis give is a load headed back towards NC. Irma is messing up our plans for a long run. Got to get back to Carolina just in case we need to take care of our families.

scythe08, Lonesome, Xeres63 and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Mortarmaggot

Apr 13, 2017
    Irma will be weak by the time it reaches NC. Decided to take a load up to RI after we unload tomorrow. Will reassess the situation after our 0100 unload on Monday.

Mary, the gal at corporate, is putting together the apprenticeship paperwork, so I should be able to enroll in that about a month from now.

We're rolling early tomorrow. Night all

Lonesome and scythe08 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.