My Swift Academy Journey. Will it be a swifty one or not?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Six9GS, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Just never feel pressured to do things too quickly, either by your trainer or by other drivers waiting on you.
    When backing patience is the key issue. Get in a hurry and you make mistakes.

By the same token, you may have to wait while another driver uses caution as well.

G13Tomcat, TruckGal13 and Six9GS Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Sometimes you can learn from watch ing others back. Look how they set up.
    Also watch the ones that are screwing up... you can learn what not to do.
    I aM scared of heights so I don't care too much for bridges or driving next to a cliff lol. Overpasses dont bother me hardly anymore except for the highest ones in texas lol. If I can get away from the edge I am ok.

G13Tomcat, D.Tibbitt and Six9GS Thank this.
  4. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Another thing to keep in mind when disconnecting from or hooking to a trailer dont get in a hurry and do things in the same order every time and dont deviate. F.E. when I drop a trailer in a dock after setting brakes i disconnect all air and electrical l8nes then go chock my wheels then drop landing gear. I have gotten in a hurry or distracted before and forgotten my air and electrical lines and forgotten to drop landing gear.

G13Tomcat, dptrucker and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  5. WitchyWomen

WitchyWomen Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Buckeye, AZ
    Steve would say get a toy truck and trailer and play with it see how it moves around from the above god view to see how it moves and how you need to move it to get it parked. Backing classes are also very helpful. But with his stories as an instructor at Phx, I am glad you made it. They don't teach well and the program doesn't allow for taking time and doing things like showing how it's done before throwing a student in and saying ok do it.

G13Tomcat and Six9GS Thank this.
  6. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I have, a couple times, forgotten to unhook the air and electrical lines when dropping a trailer.
    SNAP!!!
    And it was because my routine had changed that time, for some reason.

dptrucker Thanks this.
  7. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I actually had a toy tractor trailer back in my room at the academy. I got a piece of poster board and, scaling things properly, laid out the offset back and blind-side parallel boxes. Also used the candies called 'Dots' to be pretend cones and used my phone's camera to take pics of the different views I should see and when. It helped.
    Also, I was kinda frustrated with the 'procedural' way the backings are taught and I had difficulties, until.... I talked with my instructor about letting me 'try it my way' once. He said go for it. I never ised the steps they teach for an offset back again. I backed up boat trailers for years and also marshalled small airplanes around at a general aviation airport for a couple of years. That entails a double-reverse steering approach. Anyway, although a 53' trailer is quite different than a boat trailer, backing into an offset box like I used to back boat trailers worked well for me. Sometimes they weren't 'pretty' and sometimes I had to pull up several times. But, never failed to get the trailer in the box without hitting a wall. Even backed it in frequently without a single 'get out' or pull up. Most importantly it made sense to me and I could work it.
    Anyway, thanks for the encouragement. Thousands upon thousands of others have learned to be professional, safe, competent and skilled drivers. If they can, so can I! I just have to be willing to put the effort, patience and practice required to get there!!!

dwells40 Thanks this.
  8. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    A lot of that last post was related to your past experience. Don't discount that.
    You did it your way, and it worked better than doing it someone else's way. Don't discount that.

Much of our work is just common sense.
    But what is 'common sense' to one person is not always 'common sense' to the other.

"Most importantly it made sense to me and I could work it."
    That, is common sense!

Six9GS and dwells40 Thank this.
  9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Well crap. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new mentor. I don't wanna say what he did a bit ago, but, to me it crossed a line and he did something, as a driver, that I'm pretty sure is a big no no to do. We're at a truck stop and he is doing his 30. I've called my coordinator lady and left a message. I'll talk with her before I walk off in a puff, just to be sure I'm not being stupid about it. But, if worse comes to worse, I can rent a car from where we are to home easy enough.

Update: I didn't 'fire' my mentor. I was able to chill out a bit and talk with him about some of the things I'm frustrated about and ask why he was doing, or not doing things the way he was. I got answers that gave me understanding, although most of them I don't agree with. But, understanding makes things much easier to 'tolerate' if you don't agree with. As for the 'thing' that was over the line, it really was, but it was barely over the line in the way he did it. I plan on talking to him about it tomorrow, once I've had a break for the evening/night. AND, with that, I realized I really needed a smidgen of time away from him. We finished our load (A T-Call) and put myself in a hotel room for the night. Had a chance to talk with my driver manager about it and she even offered to reimburse my for the hotel room, which is awesome. Lastly, I think I need to sort of prearrange with him that about every 7 or 8 days or so, I should probably get a hotel room for a night. I think that can make things flow a lot smoother for the remaining 3 weeks we are togerther.
    Also, at 6AM (local time) my 34 hour reset will be complete and I'll get ALL my hours back, I had less than 4 left on my 70 hour clock.

Thanks all for your continued support and encouragement. It truely is appreciated and helps!!!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  10. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Ok what did he do? Curious minds want to know.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Probably drank a beer :biggrin_25526:

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.