My Swift Academy Journey. Will it be a swifty one or not?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Six9GS, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'd really rather not say t this point. IF he does do it again and I need to leave him, I might say more. But, for now, probably most appropriate to not say anymore than I have.

G13Tomcat and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Penumbra started a thread on that; wish I could find it. MANY of us 'older' hands suggest the toy truck. 'Tis how I taught my wife, about 6 years ago. Works wonders, yes'm.

4. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    The BOAT BOT is off the premises... sure hope NOT~! :(

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm just getting caught up; sorry, man. Got hemmed up with wife's jeep, and dang Ohio football games (wins) this weekend. Yeah, we won...but I'll be DANGED if she's gonna watch the games and holler down to me the plays...LoL. Kinda lazy weekend.

One of the BAD things about local/intrastate/regional (<< whatever you wanna call it) is that some weekdays, I ONLY get a 10, bringing my rig home. Sure, sometimes it's 16, then other times I have to PULL a 16 exempt...when PC won't work.

I sure hope it all pulls together for ya, man. Miles seem like good strides; do what you need to do; for only YOU can answer to YOU. Never forget that. @TripleSix has a thread on here somewhere...mostly about sayings, mantras, et al. Maybe he will show up and hook you (and me?) up .... instintcs, ingenuity, integrity to ones'self... are paramount.

Wishing you well, just keep us in the loop the best you can, pard.

Tomcat

ps: Read my tagline. :)

TripleSix and Six9GS Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Which thread was it?

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    One that YOU started, about sayings.. 'say something about yourself' or something to that effect.. and i answered 'read my tagline'... I'M LOOKING too, BUT you being the author would be easier. A couple months ago. Sayings to live by, something to that effect.. remember?

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    This one
    Education and Success-Forbes

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Update: I'm back in Phoenix, where I've been for a couple of days. My Mentor needed some home-time and we got here on Friday morning. It gave me a chance to run some important errands, to include getting my real license, not the temporary paper one. Also had a chance to repack and leave some stuff I didn't reall need and grab a few things I've found I probably do. I expected we'd get back on the road today, but I guess we weren't able to get a load, or my mentor decided to extend aother home-time day. Either way, I'm now here in a hotel for the night. Chance to watch some football!!! I am anxious to get back on the road.
    My mentor doesn't keep snow chains on his truck, he doesn't want to run in any snow. So, I do know while I am training under him, I'll be staying South, probably won't go above I-40 is my guess. But, I'll take it. I wouldn't mind avoiding the North and winter driving during this first winter for me. But, I'll just take it as it comes and figure it out from there. I have lived in Northern Climates for numerous years, so winter driving stuff isn't entirely foreign to me, but naturally, never in a tractor/trailer.
    So far two observations regarding differences between a regular 4 wheeler and a rig that I wasn't aware of. 1. You have to look much farther down the road at conditions than with a 4 wheeler. I already look pretty far ahead, compared to most, drivers. But, learning I still have to extend that even further than I have before. 2. HILLS!!!!! In a 4 wheeler, you set the cruise and forget about it. Not so in a rig. GOTTA watch the downhill speed and be aware of it all and manage spped with load with the specific road condition (grade, weather conditions, traffic, etc.). No cruise control to help with that.
    I know you guys already know these things, just letting you know what I'm finding out.

So, waiting to get back on the road, hoping to get some more miles behind the wheel soon!!!

10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Congrats, man! Still following; glad all is going decent for ya.

ps: READ the thread above that Six linked to. It's quite apropos to this industry.

Stay safe~!
    Tomcat

Six9GS Thanks this.
  11. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    Actually cruise control IS useful in some downhill senarios. If the engine brake is armed it will come on @ 3 mph above the set point of the cruise. When I go down Baker Grade (18 miles long) I find a gear that will hold the truck @ my desired speed then set the cruise @ 3 mph below that.

dptrucker, G13Tomcat and dwells40 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.