My Tenure is Over

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MGE Dawn, Sep 18, 2019.

1. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    When I originally thought I wanted to make the jump to otr I contacted swift thinking if I could last a year or two at a starter company like that I knew I could do it for life anywhere else. I called them and talked to a recruiter. Not one single #### given about 18 years at UPS accident free...not didn't even care a lil bit. When I decided to go driving that was the first thing out of my mouth when I would talk to a perspective employer because I thought people would like to see A. Job stability B. 18 years of delivering in a city without hitting anything...like I thought I was golden and people would be jumping to hire me. Not 1 single otr company cared about any of that. I talked to everyone from swift to some decent tanker companies and nobody cares. The local and ltl companies were interested however. That kinda scared me away from otr too, it seems like they don't care if they hire crap bags as long as someone is holding that steering wheel.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Right?? It seems counterproductive to hire somebody with 0 experience in driving over somebody like urself been doing it for 18 years. Even guys that drive dump trucks and end dumps, mixer guys, even ltl, they try to go otr and get treated like they did you. The same as having 0 experience . if it was me id much rather have somebody that knows how to manuever in tight places like cities, since thats where most the wrecks happen. I wonder why they dont count that kind of driving as experience

4. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Sadly, as long as you've had a clean record for at least a year, and you haven't been fired by them in the same year, then they'll hire you. ####, if I ever want to subject myself to their torture again (I don't), they'll rehire me in a year. I need just apply again (I won't). They truly do epitomize the old adage about megas hiring anyone with a pulse

Cattleman84 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
  6. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Look at temp staffing agencies. They want you JUST smart enough to keep showing up to the assigned company so they can pimp your labor. A GOOD temp gets a hire on offer from the company which means the temp agency loses a slot and a minion. So they dont want good, they want good enough.

18 years of good employment at UPS? A mega knows youll tell them to shove it in a few months. They want fresh, ignorant meat because statistically it stays to be exploited for longer while demanding less.

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Apparently our new KW's with their CMS congratulate the driver on good braking/following :banghead:
    The two Mack Anthem's I drove in 2018 both had CMS, on cruise they sucked, the incessant beeping in city traffic made me want to kill someone.

D.Tibbitt, Cat sdp, rank and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
  9. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    What made it worse, I loved both those trucks, even after I wrecked the one

10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    How the heck did you do that?

D.Tibbitt and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Swift sucks anyways.... your better off.

Try smaller companies....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.