My Tenure is Over

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MGE Dawn, Sep 18, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

So you’re telling me drivers are jumping onto your lane and hard braking you? I’m sure it happens, but how often? Daily? Monthly? We all know this does not happen regularly. If someone jumps in, stop accelerating and, if necessary, apply the brakes.

I hate to defend Swift, but they’re likely right in that your behavior on the road isn’t safe. You see, many mega companies have some sort of technology on their trucks that notifies them when their drivers are hitting the brakes too hard. If a driver is hitting the brakes hard every week, you know something is wrong.

D.Tibbitt, gentleroger and rank Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    About once every 2 to 3 weeks

4. Antinomian

Antinomian Road Train Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I've had it happen to me twice in 9 years.

D.Tibbitt, tinytim, rank and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

For your next company, ask them if they keep track of hard braking events. If so, then ask what is considered too often.

6. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Move on and let it go. Their model is based on mediocrity amd you are set free, net positive.

It's why I had periods of unemployment starting out, I didn't want to learn what a mega teaches. Bad enough I have to share the highway with them and watch them fumble ever single move.

PMed you some options.

7. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    When I'm getting passed by someone slightly faster, I usually just shut off the cruise control as soon as their truck gets beside the back of my trailer. When I've got a good amount of following distance, I'll resume the cruise speed. In the event they hard brake in front of me, I will be able to slow down faster than them.

One thing I wouldn't do is worry about how safe it is for the vehicles behind me if I have to brake. If they're not paying attention or following too closely, that's what is unsafe, not me slowing down. I'm not going to let their bad driving habits coerce me into developing bad habits.

speedyk, PE_T and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I would like your opinion on the video in this link. Who was at fault? Was the accident preventable?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  9. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    You flatten SUV's?

YEAH YOU KNOW ME!

10. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Finally someone got it lol. You just won at life sir

11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    4 am, pitch black, didn't see them come from the right shoulder until it was too late.

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.