My Time With Swift

Discussion in 'Swift' started by dodgeram440rt, Apr 13, 2010.

1. dodgeram440rt

dodgeram440rt Heavy Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    Good luck to you Ironrider. Not every company is a good fit for everyone. For example, it was just a year ago that I was on the hunt, looking for a company to go with just like you. I even looked at FFE, but for whatever reason I don't remember now, I passed. One thing I think you may have overlooked or missed concerning Swift and their fees for the school, yes they do take out the fees for that each week during the first year of employment with them. That is just common sense and all companies with their own training programs do that. But not all of them will pay that money back to you during your second year of employment like Swift does. So essentially, if you can stick it out with Swift for 2 years (and that really shouldn't be as hard as some make it sound), your training would be totally free costwise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ironrider

Ironrider Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Texarkana, Texas
    Yea, I hadn't really thought about the second year, but you are right Dodge. LOL, I am confused again. I had settled and made a decision to go with Swift and I am still scheduled for the last of this month. Then I got to looking at FFE (thinking I might like refer vs dry van), called them and the less money up front sounded appealing. However, I am starting to get really bad vibes with FFE; starting with the recruiter. She has already been somewhat rude and insists she has sent me information through email I have never received. I have called and emailed her a couple of times because I have some questions and have yet to get a responce. Makes me wonder if they are going to treat me that way now, how will they treat me once I am employed? The Swift recruiter, Richard, has been very accomodating and has answered every phone call or email I have sent. I just want to start my new career. I am not really a job hopper (2 jobs in 12 years). I have learned to not go to any of these starter companies with high expectations and go in with an optomistic attitude, try to be patient and be thankful for whatever I can get. What frieght has the highest ratio of drop and hook, van or refer?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. dodgeram440rt

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    Your comments about your dealings with the two different recruiters are a perfect example of what I've been saying about companies are made up of the people who work for them. Take that for what it is worth.

If you want to pull reefer, Swift does have a reefer division as well. I cannot answer any questions reqarding it because I don't do reefer, so therefore I know nothing about it. To me, the only benefit to reefer is the broader load opportunities that are offered to you. With a reefer trailer you can haul both dry and reefer loads. With the dry van, you only get dry. On the down side, you have a higher probability that more of your stops are going to be live load/unloads than you would have with a dry van. And when I say live load/unload with a reefer, I'm not talking about waiting for an hour and you are on your way. I was at a grocery dc this past week (so yes, this does happen to dry vans as well, but more frequently with reefers) with an 18:00 appointment. They told me to tune my cb to chl 7 and they would call me when they had a door. After 4 hours of listening to them call drivers with appointments after mine, and listening to other drivers say this is standard operating procedures for grocery dc's and one guy had waited 12 hours the last time he was there, I finally got a knock on my door telling me to drop my trailer in a door and grab an empty.

Dry van is mostly drop and hook, but we do get live stuff too. I think the longest I've ever waited for a live load or unload was 5 hours, but that kind of stuff is rare. If I could remember, I could probably count on one hand how many times that has happened. Oh, and just because it was supposed to be a preloaded trailer you are picking up, don't bet on it. That 5 hour wait was for a preloaded trailer that wasn't loaded yet. And I arrived to pick it up at the end of the pick up window I had been given.

When dealing with starter companies, hope for everything, expect nothing.

BarnDog and scottied67 Thank this.
  5. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Iron man your medical issues may screw you. You really want to quit your present job?

Trucking is a picky world sometimes, and getting worse.

6. Ironrider

Nov 15, 2010
    Texarkana, Texas
    Yea Rug Trucker I am certain I want to leave this job. I work for a government agency that has very young inexperienced Supervisors. I have enjoyed this job in the past but have really burned out on it. Moral is terrible, people are constantly being micromanaged and written up over little things that shouldn't mean skwat (not me). I am on discplinary action but I did what they said I did :( My attitude has dwindled to the point my mouth is overloading my ***! I try very hard to stay optomistic but it is impossible here. We have a 100% turn over annually, including supervisors. I have managed to stay here for nearly four years but I am afraid I will be terminiated eventually if I dont get out while the getting is good.

7. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Trust me micro management is everywhere including trucking.

8. Ironrider

Nov 15, 2010
    Texarkana, Texas
    I really don't mind the micromanging all that much I guess, it is the inconsistancy of how it is applied. I can and will do what ever is asked of me. Around here you may get disciplined for something today that you were praised for last month. And my job requires me to be in people's personal and private live.s The extent that I am in their life is never consistant. One families actions may cause them great grief while another family having done the same action will be over looked. I dont have any faith in the agency I work for anymore. I came to work here because I believed in the cause. It has taken me a while to learn this, but even this agency is only about covering its own *** and really doesn't stand up for victim's rights at all. Comes down to money and making the big bosses look good; at the expense of the families I deal with. I spent 23 years in law enforcement and loved it. I retired (way to early) thinking this would be a great job and I believed in what it stood for. Now, I feel really trapped. I don't have any other skill sets and I am too old to go back on the streets and deal with the general public. I have always wanted to drive a truck for some reason. I am now single and don't have anything to hold me back except the medical issues. I have personally spoken with Swift and FFE's safety departments and have learned what I will need to pass the DOT. So hopefully, it won't bite me in the rear.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  9. Ironrider

Nov 15, 2010
    Texarkana, Texas
    Rug Trucker here is a good example of what I am talking about. One of my co-workers was told she had too much overtime and was forced to take off. This sounds like BS but it is absolutely true without any underlining information. When she returned to work, she was written up and put on disciplinary notice for not having turned in her work while she was on forced leave. We have no recourse because we work for an "at will" State Agency.Supervisor said she should have worked over and gotten it taken care of before her leave.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  10. BarnDog

BarnDog Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Great thread dodgeman. I've been biding my time here while I wait for class to start at my local CC in January, trying to soak up as much as I can. I've been looking into all of the usual companies, and Swift is on my list, for a number of reasons. Threads like this that take the experience all the way through are really helpful.

I've read plenty of bashing here, for a bunch of different companies. It's hard to figure out what all of the real problems are from what's posted, but I think a lot of it's self-inflicted, and then there are just a lot of problems that can crop up when a big outfit like this has a lot of trucks in motion at any one time.

I hope to take an ethic similar to yours into the job; it's encouraging to hear that there's actually some sanity if you can just bear down and roll with the punches.

Keep it up, I'll be following!

11. dodgeram440rt

May 19, 2009
    Piqua, Ohio
    Wow! I must have been really busy. Been relagated to the 2nd page. :biggrin_2556: Guess it's time to bring back to the top.

Sometimes I really feel like a yo-yo. It seems like they get me on a route sometimes and just get me going back and forth. 2 weeks ago, I picked up a load in Columbus to get me home which was going to Missouri.

After I was done visiting the family, I left out on sunday and headed for Missouri. Hit a little bit of snow heading out, but nothing real serious...until I hit the Indiana-Illinois border. Then all hell broke loose. Well, ok, maybe not, but things were definately getting dicey. Stuff got real bad when I got onto I-72 heading west. The winds were gusting about 50 mph and had the snow blowing so bad you could hardly see. Had an east bound driver call out on the cb to hit the breaks cuz there was a jackknife immediately in front of me. Manage to come to a stop safely, then looked in the mirror to see a a couple of cars behind me sliding off, then a truck with his trailer not in a straight line. He did manage to stop safely, but I bet he needed to change his shorts! There were cars and pick ups hitting the ditches all over. Managed to get through that mess ok and made it to my final with no further adventures.

My next load went to the Chicagoland area, then I went to Pennsylvania, then to Wisconsin, then back to PA. Back and forth, back and forth. Then they broke the pattern and sent me to Virginia, then from there I went to Kansas City, MO where I sit now. I've got a load from the terminal here going to St. Louis. First step in getting me home by friday...I hope in time for Christmas.

The weekend crew from Memphis really made my hit list this past weekend. My load going from Wisconsin was about 850 miles going to PA. I picked it up on friday and had an appointment time late monday morning. I had plenty of time for a 34 reset so there I sat and planned on leaving sunday morning. At midnight saturday night, my qc beeps with a message that this load can deliver early and I should get rolling to ensure an ontime delivery. :biggrin_25524::biggrin_25510: They woke me up for this?! Yeah I was hot. I informed them I was finishing my 34 and thanked them for waking me up in the middle of the fkn night and hoped I wouldn't be too tired to drive in the morning when I planned on leaving. Didn't hear from them again after that. :biggrin_25523: I gotta wonder if that was her first night on the job.

Enough with the madness, 'tis the holiday season.

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, and plenty of safe miles!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.