My Trainer Isn't Letting Me Practice Backing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nadiyah2000, Jan 12, 2022.

1. nadiyah2000

nadiyah2000 Light Load Member

Jul 2, 2021
    That's exactly what I'm going to do. It's not that I can't back up at all, I just want to perfect my skill. Yesterday when my trainer did let me back, I was getting frustrated with her because she was standing outside yelling the directions at me. I've already told her that I can't back when she does this. For some reason it confuses me. I HAVE to stop, GOAL and analysis the situation for myself. As soon as she let me finish the back by myself, I was able to get it in within a few minutes.

nredfor88, Speedy356 and tscottme Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nadiyah2000

Jul 2, 2021
    Umm that's the problem. I DO want to be trained. I've told her literally 5 times now that I want to practice. I honestly think she's just lazy and doesn't want to do her job. Literally before we checked out last night, there where so many parking spots with good spacing I could have practiced with. She just has me pull up and immediately goes to sleep. Like if you're tired just say so. Don't BS me talking about "it's too busy" when they're is barley anyone driving in the back of the parking lot & so many open spaces....

4. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    My best suggestion for you coming from an experienced driver and owner operator is to be patient. It is very easy to become frustrated. Your trainer may be inept at her job and doesn't want to display any weaknesses in front of the onlookers at a truck stop. Let it ride. When you do get the opportunity to practice backing up try to make the most of the situation and absorb as much information as you can. Learn what your truck and trailer do when backing and how the trailer reacts to your inputs from the steering wheel. Take it slow and never be afraid to get out and look. It's too easy to make a costly mistake. The best drivers in the world still get out of the truck and analyze the situation. If you feel like you may be in the wrong position or at a bad angle don't push it and make a bad decision. Try again. This is one of those skills that takes some time. Good luck on the road and be safe out there driver.

5. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    That's very frustrating. Reminds me of one instructor in the Schneider training. I'd been putting it in the hole all morning, no problem. Then this instructor decides to walk up and "help" by barking orders...turn this way, turn that way.. Made it look like I couldn't back for crap. Funny thing is, that's the instructor everyone liked. I liked that one that gave me time to experiment and figure out on my own how the trailer moved in relation to the truck, so that I actually got it. No one like her though because she didn't "help."

6. nadiyah2000

Jul 2, 2021
    Funny thing is earlier my trainer literally told me not to GOAL while backing. I kid you not. I've never seen her GOAL when she backs either. How the HELL did she become a "trainer"????

7. nadiyah2000

Jul 2, 2021
    Lmao she literally told me not to GOAL while backing. How on earth did she become a trainer giving this advice??? Then she got extremely unprofessional by saying "I was tell my son about you and he wants your number." What the ACTUAL ####??? I'm SO tempted to report her, but I'm already 2500 miles in. I have to complete 7500 before I get my own truck. God I CAN'T wait for this to be over with....

faux_maestro and silverspur Thank this.
  8. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Sometimes I haul to Tuesday Morning DC in Dallas area. I'm usually at the end of my 70 and its a tight squeeze in there for a drop n hook so I just pay the yard driver ten bucks to put it in the hole for me. Makes him happy, makes me happy and it makes room for all the Swift drivers to prove their mettle by getting it done themselves.

Also, lots of gallant knights of the road at every customer/truck stop to gallop to your rescue if you want to play the helpless female card.

faux_maestro and nadiyah2000 Thank this.
  9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Trainers at many companies are simply drivers that have not had an incident, accident, insurance claim in the last 90 days. Typically trainers are paid an additional amount per day, or per mile when a student is with them. Many of they do no training. Trainer is simply a title and extra money.

faux_maestro and nadiyah2000 Thank this.
  10. nadiyah2000

Jul 2, 2021
    Lmao the last paragraph. Yeah if I can't get it in, then I guess I'll play "helpless", but I'd really prefer to do it myself. I guess it's better than hitting something...

Speedy356 Thanks this.
  11. Speedy356

Speedy356 Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2021
    Like some of the other drivers have said, just get your time in with this trainer, then you will have years to practice your backing. Just remember to always take your time and never get in a hurry, that’s when the mistakes come into play.

Good luck!!!

faux_maestro and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.