My training with Roehl begin tomorrow.....

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by New Driver, Mar 13, 2008.

1. drive55cat

drive55cat Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Pa
    Go to a grocery store and always, always, always keep something to eat on the truck. Beyond that, some of the best advice I have ever heard is" Get some pictures of your loved ones and put them right up on the dashboard, to remind you of why you are doing this''.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. New Driver

New Driver Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Jonesboro, GA
    Well I am hanging in here, by a piece of thread but I am trying to get it togethere. I really do want to drive trucks, so I need to get my act in gear. We drove up from columbia, sc to gramh fordge, va. My trainer did all of the driving. I know I need to get back in the saddle and pull myself togethere but I need to be sure that I can do it safely. So I will up date you guys on that later on tonight when we stop maybe. I was on the verge last night and this morning of calling it quits, but I know I can drive this truck as I have done better everyday. So with my belief in God and that little voice that keep on telling me I can do it, i keep pushing on. For me and my family. The funny thing is I know I am out here for them but when I think of them I get torn up about it and its hard not to think of them when I am out here.

The first time up in these hills/mountain I was in awe, but then I was like dam...this is high.:biggrin_25524: Growing up as a kid in the inner city of Atlanta, Ga. I realized that I am a long way from home.:biggrin_2554: We do not have these type of hills from where I come from.:biggrin_25512: So like I said in another posted. New guys, make sure you are completely ready. Not just what it take to drive and been away from home but have a complete understanding of what you are getting into. Vets, I'm all ears for the advice. Drive safe. Be safe. We will talk later.

4. Golpher

Golpher Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Chicago
    Good Luck whatever you do, NewDriver. I was in your shoes (not THAT upset about being away from home), and I just knew that I had to make this work. I ended up being on the road with Swift for about a month, then got onto a regional run, and got home home every weekend.

I ended up leaving Swift in Jan., and got into a GREAT company, making great money, and being home every Friday (at a minimum), and sometimes I'm home on Thursday. I also get the Weekends off, and still able to rack up 2500+ miles/wk.

With this new company, I'm loving life, and able to provide for my family, which is the most important thing in life.

I say all of this b/c if this is what you REALLY want to do, then at least you know there are some good companies out there that do get you home, and you can still make more than 50-60K/yr.

All it takes is a little sacrifice on both parts, and you will be much happier in the long run. If you live near Atlanta, then you should check into the company I drive for (we have a warehouse there). If you're interested, check my thread in the "Good Companies" section. You may have to be solo for 6-9 months, as I dont think they take people as new as you, but it's always something to think about.

5. rumandcoke123

rumandcoke123 Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2008
    everywhere, usa
    Welcome to the life of an over the road driver. Want some advice, get out of trucking. I am sure your trainer is sick and tired of your moaning and is trying to break you in softly thru some humor which you are unable to understand. Was your trainer crying when he had to sit there for 18 hours or did he man up and say this sucks and went along the best he could with the situation?

A shower every 24 hours would be wonderful, heavenly, but in most cases doubtful. I would say 3 days is an average.

Why didn't you bring any food with you? seems like a silly thing to forget.

Better buck up young man think them there hills are high, lol wait till they get snow covered.

Your down time is part of the job, you are going to encounter endless hours of wasted time due to a planner who really only sees you as a number.

Missing home that much, waahhh get used to it or get out. Just tell your trainer that this life is not for you. I am sure he will be more then happy to give you a lift back to Atlanta.

The truth is there, the tact is not. RUM

6. milestogo

milestogo Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2006
    Downeast
    newdriver,

Haven't seen it mentioned, but make certain you are on duty at least 4 hours a day, even if you don't drive.

Good luck, and hang in there. You'll be with another trainer soon, and hopefully the experience will be better.

7. New Driver

Feb 7, 2008
    Jonesboro, GA
    LOL..now this is funny but I respect your comments. I don't cry and whinne to my trainer but i did tell him what I was going through today. He said he went through it as well. A lot of truckers go through it. Also talked about his method of training. I Told him he was a little laid back and craked jokes aT THE WRONG TIME TO BE A TRAINER. He laughed, I laughed, but I also admitted that between those wise cracks that, I have learned some things from him which in this short time has help my driving and backing. He commented that theres nothing wrong with my driving, I just need to soke every thing in that is going on around me. So in short, Theres nothing wrong or friction with me and my trainer.

As far as the 18 hour layover, he was pissed but did take it in stride. Remember, I get pay a little training pay he gets the miles. I think this day we racked up a close to a 100+ hours.:biggrin_2555: Wow...just thinking of my trainer on this one.

A shower every 3 days? I laugh at that. when i get on my own if not every day then every other day.

Bring food unto a crowded truck. I have junk food for snaking but a man got to eat. if you don't eat oh well.

What you say about those hills are true and thats why I freaked. You're right I do have to buck up.

8. New Driver

Feb 7, 2008
    Jonesboro, GA
    why you say atleast four hour a day? Just curious. I doing 8+ but less than 9 a day.

9. New Driver

Feb 7, 2008
    Jonesboro, GA
    Thanks for the comments Golpher. This is all about my family and I amm doing what I can to make it work.

10. possessed

possessed Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2008
    NC
    I am curious about something as I have never driven a big truck. You mentioned shifting, how much different is the clutching and shifting as compared to a 4 wheeler? I wonder because I can drive the hell of a manual 4 wheeler, now I am nervous about and 18 wheeler.

11. rumandcoke123

rumandcoke123 Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2008
    everywhere, usa
    Well to be honest was waiting an onslought for what a mean driver I am. LOL well there might be hope for you yet. Not much but just a little.

As far as your next shower, if there is no time, just ask your trainer to spray you with the water hose next time you fuel up (they are located near the pumps at most fueling spots). That will make you both happy LMAO.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.