My truck and trailer is too Long per DOT

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by trucker_lady80, Sep 8, 2020.

1. trucker_lady80

trucker_lady80 Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2020
    Thank you all so much.
    I ended up just buying the Texas permit to extend the length past 65' for $280 every 3 weeks. These cost are adding up quickly.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roguefox

Roguefox Light Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    I have to agree with Soulscream, seems there is a large number of these hotshots who bought a truck and trailer "to make the big money without a needing a semi".

Operating over 65' as a hotshot and then saying I didnt know is like a driver running down the road at 90k saying he/she didnt know.

Shows a real lack of preparation and understanding operating a commerial vehicle.

Not picking on O/P in particular, just seen alot of poorly secured loads and DOT writing alot of tickets.

4. trucker_lady80

trucker_lady80 Bobtail Member

Sep 8, 2020
    Hello Roguefox,

Thanks for the response.

You are right and I respect your comment. It is my mistake, I did not prepare properly and research and this mistake will cost me about $80 per month in permit fit until I can trade in trailer for 37' trailer.

I am learning.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    clausland, kemosabi49 and Lite bug Thank this.
  5. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Gotta love Government.....,.your trailer is illegal and dangerous to the motoring public.........unless.....you pay us several hundred/thousand dollars..... then you are fine. LOL

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  6. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Or take your bed off.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  7. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    BY 12"....... Disclaimer: I am not a Hotshot Driver or making excuses for "Outlaws". How many LEGAL Hotshots get dinged for 1foot? Take the bed off of your truck and then"you are legal"? We all run the highways and byways out here daily.... I saw at least15- 20 TT douchebags flying past me at 70+ in the construction zones from I-35 to at least Houston at 0330;today in a 50-55 zone. I could say more but.....the mods would kick me to the curb.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Not necessarily. As long as you don't insult somebody personally, commit libel, engage in racial profiling, use hate speech, threaten violence, skirt the cuss-word filter, or blame everything on politics you could probably say just about anything concerning hot-shots.
    The mods are drivers, too.

9. Dockbumper

Apr 29, 2020
    Should have been more clear in my post.....nothing against Hotshots......supply and demand......my rant was about all of the 18 wheelers that do boneheaded things all day and night. Plenty of stupid drivers in every corner of this industry!:D

10. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Only a few ways to fix this.
    Buy a shorter trailer.
    Move the ball hitch
    Take the bed off the truck to make it a tractor.

Lite bug and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  11. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Why only a 37' footer? Are you a full 3' over 65'.?

You might be able to find my old 2014 Loadmax. It was built with 39'2" of deck to be exactly 65' bumper to bumper with a 169.5" wheelbase 2012 Dodge crewcab longbox. Traded it to Walker's in La Vergne, TN last October. Call em up & ask if they still got it..

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.